Hot Tempered

Kayla arrived in the headmaster's office first, barging in like no other student dared to do.

"Kayla!" the headmaster scolded as the door slammed into the wall. "We've talked about this. You are supposed to kno... Who is this?"

"Headmaster, meet Jayden," she said, gesturing to the headmaster and Jayden in turn. "Jayden, meet Headmaster."

"Kayla, this boy is not permitted on the grounds," Headmaster said angrily.

"Now, he is," she said, pushing the torn flaps of his shirt away from the center of his chest. Her appearance had changed back to the gothic girl- minus her horns- and her eyes ablaze.

The place where she had placed her hand on Jayden's skin turned red. Headmaster stared at it for quite some time before muttering, "Kayla, what have you done?"

"I marked him. I thought that was obvious," she said, switching back to the sweet girl's complexion.

Headmaster sat back in his leather desk chair, his eyebrows rising into his long grey bangs. In his eyes, Jayden could see a fury, but his lips broke into a smile.

In a humorous, yet furious tone, Headmaster said, "Why did I think keeping you off missions would keep you from trouble?"

There was a silence as Kayla and Headmaster stared at each other, neither daring to look away.

Finally, Paris put his hand on Kayla's shoulder and said, "Let it go."

Kayla turned to Paris, giving him a look as she brushed his hand off. "Are you going to let him control you all your life Paris? Do you want to stay his little puppet? You always let people use you and take advantage of you! Stand up for once."

"Kayla," Headmaster said firmly. "Not in my office."

"Sorry, sir," Paris said.

"It's not your fault, Paris," Headmaster said, glaring at Kayla. "Everyone except Kayla is dismissed. And Paris, would you mind showing Jayden to the room that is joined to Kayla's?"

"Not at all," Paris replies, ushering Jayden out of the office. Rowan followed behind with a simple nod to Headmaster.

As Paris lead Jayden to the room, Jayden asked, "Why has Kayla not been on a mission in a while?"

Paris glanced back at Rowan who shrugged his shoulders. "If you couldn't tell, this academy has pretty strange students. Our complexions change all the time, depending on how we feel, and we all have powers of some sort. Kayla is a fire elemental, a very powerful one."

"What about you two?" Jayden interrupted.

"Paris's skin acts like armor which is why he's able to touch Kayla, and my eyes can zoom in and out," Rowan said.