The pack

"Do you smell that?" A low voice called out in the early afternoon.

"Ya, like roasted rabbit." Another voice answered.

"Not. ." The first voice was cut off by a third.

"Come on, lets get the patrol finished. The rabbit was probably from a few resting hunters. Don't worry about it, their smell is already fading. So lets go! Sophie is waiting for me." Laughter broke out between the three. I was alert and tense waiting for them to leave. Okami was the one who had woken me up and I was grateful.

"Dude you are so whipped!" The second voice said, full of humor.

"Wait until you find your mate. Just wait." More laughter as they moved away, but I knew it was still to early to relax. 'Hey can you mask our scents? I don't have a good feeling about this' I said to Okami and she agreed. Soon our scent would smell old. Not seconds to soon either. The laughing guys came back.

"I'm serious. It smells like a female rouge. Right were the old camp fire was." It was the lower voice. Dammit! What's with the suspicion! I growled in my head, Just walk away!

"Whatever you say. We'll come back after our rounds with a few others and check it out. Calm down."

"Fine. Lets go." They shifted again and I barely dared to breath. Crawling slowly to the brush I put in front of the entrance I watched as the male with the low voice stood there watching everything. I shivered nervously when his cold eyes passed over the den. I needed my son. Backing away from the entrance I nudged Timmy and licked his face gently and he nodded understanding. He crawled closer to me, hugging my neck. The final pair of footsteps walked away finally and I sighed, shifting into my human form. Timmy was still latched onto my neck, but I didn't mind.

"Come on, we need to leave." He nodded and collected everything, putting it back into lace inside the bags.

"Mommy, who were they?"

"Sweetie those men were the boarder patrol for whosever land were on." His eyes widened in fear. We had been running from anyone of the sort for months, so I didn't blame him for being scared.
"Don't worry, I'll protect you." I smiled at him and we continued to pack up. After dressing I crawled out if the den first, then Timmy followed after I told him it was safe. When we continued our journey he laughed and giggled, asking thousands of questions. The walk was fairly boring so I created a game for him. Truthfully it was self defense thinly disguised as a game, but he was to young for finding that out. Okami taught this to me when I had first shifted and she knew we wouldn't live long if we couldn't defend my body to some extent. Showing a couple basic stances and hand guards I told him for every six steps he had to do one position. Honestly I don't think it would work, but he took to it like a fish in water. As the day progressed I taught him more things and at lunch I asked him to show me what he learned. Eager to please he showed me every stance and guard that I drilled into him perfectly. Laughing and shouting how proud I was, I launched him into the air, keeping a firm grip on his waist as he squealed in glee.

Timmy was taking a nap during high noon when I heard the dreaded sound of a wolf growling. It was low and full of a threat. Did that patrol come back? There was no else around, so all I could assume was that it was directed at me. 'Play human' Okami told me and I gulped nervously.

"Hello?" I asked, forcing my voice to falter. "Is someone there?"

"Don't play dumb rouge." A masculine voice said.

That plan went out the window quickly.

"What do you want?" I asked, dropping the scared act.

"You to leave my territory." He growled again. Shit! Another Alpha?! What's with these guys! It's like they were all hunting just me.