02. Hot and Cold

I sipped at my Manhattan gingerly, twisting in the black swivel bar stool. It felt like I was on a carousel, going around in slow, rhythmic circles. I nearly lost my balance several times, gripping the bar counter for dear life.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but it felt like time stood completely still. It was like everything slowed down— like everything stopped. I glanced at the clock warily, checking to see the time. The minute hand and the hour hand molded together, spinning in a frantic circular motion. I blinked several times, shaking my head, as if to wake up from a nightmare.

There's no way that was really happening. Maybe I'd had too much to drink. I glanced at the half empty glass in front of me. I'd only had one drink, but my head was spinning as if I'd had several.

I look up to the bartender for some sort of explanation. Maybe he'd used stronger alcohol than he was supposed to.

"Did y-y-you... um..." I trailed off quietly, getting lost in thought. I couldn't even form a coherent sentence anymore. It took all of my energy to hold my eyes open. This didn't feel right. At all.

"Did I spike your drink with roofies?" The bartender took it upon himself to finish my sentence, seeming oddly smug with himself. He nodded slowly, creepily. "No one threatens me and gets away with it."

"I d-didn't—"

"No, but your friend did." He interrupted me, looking over his shoulder carefully. He was making sure no one was there to see what he was going to do next. Besides the dancers on the other side of the building, this place was practically empty. There weren't any customers. There weren't any witnesses. "You should have left when I told you to."

"Please don't..." I shook my head back and forth, finding it harder and harder to keep my eyes open. It felt like they head weights on them, pulling them shut. I couldn't hold them up any longer. I was drifting off...

"No!" I scolded myself silently, forcing myself to keep my tired eyes open. They were starting to play tricks on me. Everything was fuzzy.

"I haven't done anything yet, kid." He shut the bar light off, coming toward me from the other side of the counter. "But once I'm done with you, you're going to wish you never set foot in this place."

I panicked frantically, falling out of the creaky bar stool. I expected to hit the ground violently, but someone caught me. I didn't fall.

"Everest." I glanced up at the familiar face, mesmerized by how his white hair gleamed in the dim lighting. It looked like he had a halo shining above his head.

"Everet." He corrected me with the hint of a smile on his lips. It was barely noticeable and it vanished just as quickly as it had appeared. Suddenly, he was frowning in the baretender's direction. I'd almost forgotten about him. There for a moment, it felt like Everet and I were the only two people in the room. I blamed the drugs. "I wasn't named after a mountain, turchino."

"What are you d-d-doing here?" I stuttered, slurring my words. That was hardly the most important question to ask, but my mind wasn't working correctly.

"I forgot my jacket." He replied quietly, as I began swaying in his arms. He tightened his hands on my waist to steady me. I looked over my shoulder haphazardly to the spot he'd been sitting. There wasn't a jacket there. There wasn't anything there.

"I... um... okay." I muttered underneath my breath, quickly losing focus of what was going on. I felt like a battery being drained. At this rate, I was going to power down really soon. "I know you're not a t-taxi driver, but I could use a r-r-ride home."