Work

[Chapter 3]

Peter and I were in our dorm.

It was my dad's friend's old apartment and we were able to rent it in a relatively low price.

Every store was in our reach and it's just a 5 minute walk to the University. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, kitchen, it was well decorated and had a manly feeling to it.

The boys need a proper man cave.

Everything was black and white, and well-furnished.

You could say that my dad's friend is filthy rich, not only is he an architect but he has his own firm. My dad does earn good money from being an architect himself but never really had the heart for business.

Peter was sprawled out in the living room when I got out from my room to change my clothes, watching his favorite TV show, How I met your mother.

He thinks he's Barney but obviously he's one of the 5 year olds that Lily teaches.

"I have the afternoon and evening shift. Don't wait up for me, text me the things we need for groceries." Peter gave me a quick nod as a reply, obviously too distracted to even listen to me.

I walked out of our apartment floor and into the elevator, where I was alone with, what I believe to be, a cougar.

No one above the age of 40 should have their ladies hanging out.

With a slight shiver running back my spine, I climbed into my car and drove to the restaurant I was working part time for.

"Hey Ms. Lucinda."

"Daniel you're here! Thank you. Go get dressed now."

Lucinda and Jerry Walker were owners of the tea house I waiter in. I never really get how tea is made so, thank God I'm only a waiter.

You might be thinking on why I was working part time. Well, it's not because we're poor and can't afford much, it keeps my feet on the ground I guess. Working and serving people.

Plus the pay I get is what I spend during our road trips and if I wanted anything else. My parents are already spending a fortune so, I don't want to bother them with my wants.

I walked in to the locker rooms to change into my uniform: black long sleeves and black trousers with a white apron tied to my waist.

Why wear white when anytime tea or coffee could be spilled on you right?

"Hey Daniel."

"Clarissa, you might want to wipe off the smeared lipstick." 

The two are at it again.

"I see that you and Christopher are still going strong, despite that fight."

Clarissa, my co-worker, quickly wiped her lips clean before re-applying her lipstick.

Clarissa was a waitress here and Christopher was the pastry chef. Their older than me by 2 years and the two were always the kind of couples who were on and off. But you could see the spark of love in their eyes.

"Daniel, shut up."

I chuckled as I went out to get my instructions from Ms. Lucinda.

That hair.

She's here?! It can't be. There's no way.

"Ms. Lucinda! Who was that girl?!" I was panting like a wild dog when I ran to the counter and bombarded her with my questions.

She was stating at me like I was some kind of a crazy hobo. I mean, she may have the right to think do.