Chance

[Chapter 5]

We didn't find her.

"Let's ask your professor what her name is, yeah Xander? Maybe we can ask." I could hear hope in Damien's voice. Damien was a show off most of the time, but that's just all for fun, he was one of the best mates you could ask for.

Xander though, had a different side to Damien's suggestion. "Oh bloody hell no. I am not talking to that professor. Do you have any idea what they call her? URSULA. Yeah. The one from Little Mermaid. She's fat, has curly hair and her voice. Don't even get me started with her voice. She sounds like a squirrel stuck in a- Ow!"

I could sense the death glares they shot each other.

It doesn't make any difference, I wasn't able to find her.

James gave me an assuring pat on the back, "I'll go with you Daniel. We can ask Xander's professor, even if we have to go to her flat."

I shook my head. "I want to know her name by asking her myself," and with that, I left them and went to my next class.

Even when I was walking to class, I couldn't help but feel hopeful. Maybe we have one class together. Just maybe.

I sat down at my usual seat and casually took notes. My hand was moving and I know that I'm copying the right things from the projector but still, my mind drifted off to the Asian girl.

I don't want to know her name by simply asking some professor to look at her class list, where's the thrill in that? Also, asking her myself would mean that I get to meet her again, it gives me hope that not only would I know her name but I would know who she really is.

Do we like the same things?

What's her favorite food?

Where does she originally live?

What drove her to study here?

So far I know three things about her: she's Asian, she's a dancer, and she's an English major just like Xander.

God. I have so much to ask her.

I have to snap out of it. I have grades to maintain and improve and I will not let a girl distract me from it.

As our teacher asks a question about how "diversity is unity" in an ecosystem, I decided to answer his question by raising my hand up, and luckily he picked me. I answered with short but sharp words and once he gave me a nod, he carried on with his lesson. And that's my cue to just relax for the rest of the class.

I was in a hurry to get out of this class. I just want to go home to our flat and rest.

"Daniel! Wait up!"

"Oh! Hey Julia."

Julia was one of my classmates in this class. She was majoring in Agriculture, I think. And I liked her company and there was definitely something going on between us, I just didn't like her that much to ask her out yet.

"Hey you. So, Daniel, I was wondering... I have tickets to this play uptown. It's kind of fund raiser thing by my younger sister. Maybe you and I could support my sister together?"

Now, this wasn't new to me. Julia and I have been 'hanging out' since we were freshman and I knew that she liked me. I know that I wad being a dick for leading her on, but I don't want to be the reason of her heart break.

I guess, I was just waiting till I liked her enough to ask her out. But it never came.

"Hey Julia? Wanna go for lunch? My treat."