Part 14

When I entered my bedroom and turned the lights on, I didn’t expect to see Derrick Jeter squatting on the window with a blazing fire emanating from the core of his eyes. He looked at me as if I had murdered his entire family. He was clearly mad. The thing was, I didn’t have a clue of what he was pissing about. I dropped my bag on the bed and closed the door before Jayson happened to see Derrick. Derrick jumped off onto the floor with one swift hop; his eyes were still piercing on me.

            “Hey, don’t do anything stupid!” I yelled, taking a step back from him as I noticed he was holding Swiss Army knives. Oh no! Derrick had lost his mind. He raised his eyebrows.

            “What? Oh this.” He flipped the knives until their sharp points were safely held in the case and put them in his pocket, laughing. “I didn’t mean to do you harm with these. Your window was closed so I had to get in with a little...force.” He pointed at the window lock, which now had been broken. A chunk of metal was lying beside his shoe. That would be the poor lock.

            “I thought you were going to kill me! Why did you even have to sneak in like a thief? In case you forgot, we have doors here. You realize what you’ve done—mutilating my window—is vandalism right? I could call 911 and get you arrested,” I said in annoyance. Derrick shrugged innocently.

            “Well, I’d tried the door earlier but your brother said you were out to a routine appointment at a mental hospital, so I thought I’d just wait in your room.”

            “Jayson told you what? That moron!” I cursed, balling my fists.

            “Was it true, though?” Derrick asked.

            “What was true?”

            “That you were seeing a therapist for your gay problem? That’s what Jayson said.”

            “Of course not! I was in the bathroom showering earlier. Don’t believe whatever comes from his mouth. He has hated me since I was born. Anyway, what brought you here?”

            As he remembered why he was here, the skin on his face stiffened and I could sense his anger coming back. Scowling, he stood next to me and told me to watch a video on his iPad. It was a scene from yesterday’s accident. Someone had tweaked and edited the scene of Kenny and Max coming to my rescue in such a way that it turned into soft porn. The video was titled HOT BROMANCE NEWTON HS!!! I’d never seen anything that engrossed me off my sanity like this. I almost fainted seeing the part when Kenny lifted me up in his arms; my head was leaning on his perfectly engineered bare chest at the time! And the CPR with Max...it was ZOOMED IN to the point that you could see us swapping spit. Oh, Merlin’s beard! I couldn’t look longer than this.

            “This,” Derrick began. “This is what makes me mad. You’re stealing my boyfriend, you traitor!”

            “Are you kidding me? I was five inches from being a goner and they just saved me. And if what you mean by your boyfriend,” I made a quotation mark with four fingers above my head, “...is Max Maxwell, then you need a reality check. You told me that you had dated him just for fun and then ditched him later. How could you say he’s your true love after breaking his heart?”

            Derrick sighed, throwing himself on the mattress. Staring blankly at the ceiling, he spoke.

            “I can’t explain it right now and maybe I will never understand myself. But my intuition tells me he’s the one. Max Maxwell is my true love. I know I’ve denied my own feelings all along. I was so cruel to him. I broke up our relationship because I was a serial dater back then and somehow to fall in love for real felt wrong; like it could make the solar system going out of order. You know what? Even after I dumped him, I couldn’t get my mind off him. I can’t stop thinking about him. I’m sure that he hasn’t forgotten about Natasha completely although now I’m trapped in this body. I’m sure because he’s the only one in his Mob who never bullies me. Not once, Jordan.”