Day

A heavily synthesized melody blared from a smartphone on the nightstand, out of sync with the rhythmic pounding from the headboard slamming against the bedroom wall. The ringtone drowned out the moans and breathy exhales escaping the two occupants' lips, but they ignored it. He entered more deeply and vigorously, and she vocalized her satisfaction, relishing the ecstasy until they both arrived at their respective destinations, one after the other.

She slumped over him, her frame rising and falling as they breathed deeply. With the call directed to voice mail, they clung to each other in tranquil silence. He stayed in that position for a brief moment before patting her butt cheek lightly, requesting her to climb off. She complied, rolling sideways onto the moist bed sheets and blanket. It was cold to the touch, but it was welcoming, at least until her core temperature returned to normal. He got off the bed and walked out; moments later the toilet flushed in the next room. When he returned, she waved him over and slapped the empty spot in bed next to her. He sank into the mattress, his back arched against the headboard.

With eyes staring vacantly at the ceiling, she asked, "is this love?"

He tensed, frozen by indecision, uncertain whether to hear her out or to get dressed immediately.

She did not see his change in demeanour, but she knew it well by now. "Relax." Her suggestion proved difficult to follow. "You know what I like about you?"

"I'm flattered, but I thought we discussed this..."

She lifted her forearm off the bed and pointed a finger at his vexed face. "That's it, right there." Vexation morphed into perplexity, and she smiled at his reaction. "It's liberating. You don't tie me down with traditions. You don't expect me to be anything but myself. You probably don't even care about me, so I don't feel pressured to reciprocate."

"And it backfired on me, I take it? This sense of freedom is reeling you in? Shit."

"No way, no thank you. We've got something special going on."

"I don't know about that," he remarked. "Love might be...too strong of a word for me."

"But that's my point. You make me feel something else, no question about it. Is this contentedness what one might call love? What does love entail? Are we an item now? Do we have to behave a certain way?"

"Interpret it however you want," he replied, "but I can't offer anything more. Sorry, not sorry."

"Perfect," she said, and closed her eyes contentedly. "This is love."

"I'll update my relationship status online then."

"Fuck off," she laughed.

A constant electronic ring disturbed the peace once more; this time it was his phone. He turned to her, and she motioned for him to answer the call with a tilt of the head. He reached over, his fingertips trotting across the double slopes of her terrain and making her giggle before snatching up the phone from the nightstand by her side. He read the caller's name and swiped a thumb across the bottom of the screen.

"Hey, boss."

"Hey, dad!" she said, leaning onto him.

He covered the phone with his other hand nervously, but she was heard loud and clear. He shot her a look of shock, but he grinned genuinely nonetheless. "Yes, she's here. Yeah, I have time. Sure. I'll be there in ten minutes. Let's say fifteen just to be safe. I'll tell her to tag along. See you soon, boss." He hung up the phone and rested the device on his chest.

"What's he want now?" she asked.

"A new order came in."

"It's a quarter to five."