6: Eyes Wide Open

A/N this chapter is dedicated to joshhutchersonlover2
Katniss POV
Tonight is the night of the ball. I stand in front of the mirror looking at myself. Dad finally arrived home safely. He told us there was no connection for his phone.
I didn't change yet and Octavia is going to be in here at any moment.
Suddenly, the door bursts open and in walks Octavia with a huge smile on her face. "We two hours to get you ready. You already showered so that is checked off our checklist. Now sit."
She sits me down at the make up table. I lean back and soon I am asleep as she does what she needs to do."
Time Laspe.
I slip on the gold heels and carefully walk over to my full length mirror and my eyes go wide.
My dress fits me perfectly again, but Octavia added a silver gem belt to go with the gems on my shoulders. The gold heels stand out between the small leg hole. Make up includes a light pink peachy colored lipstick, a little blush on the cheekbones, gold eyeshadow and a little mascara. My brown hair is in a braided headband that looks so fragile that if I touch it, I would mess it up.
"Wow. I look good."
Octavia laughs and goes to grab something. "You sure do look good. Since it is a masquerade fall ball, I picked out your mask."
She places it on my face. I see through the holes that it is white, with silver glitter gems dotted around the edges.
Octavia moves it to onto of my head cause we have at least twenty more minutes until we need to be in the justice building.
"Well, thank you Octavia. I appreciate it."
She gives me a huge smile and I walk out the door, down the steps to the living room where everyone is dressed and ready. My parents aren't allowed to the fall ball, but are allowed to any other that is happening. They are going on a date instead. Prim stands up as I enter the room and I see she is wearing a long silky pink dress with white heels. Her make up is small, but her hair is straightened and is in an up do kinda thing.
"You look beautiful, little duck."
Prim gushes. "Not as beautiful as you!"
I laugh a little. "You are prettier than me. End of discussion, we got to go now."
She pulls her white and pink striped mask off the table and says, "Bye dad and mom."
I nod and when we are in the car, I pull my mask on my face and so does Prim.
We reach our destination real quick. I thank the driver for taking us and I step out of the car following Prim.
"Come on. Let's get inside." Prim says grabbing my hand I her white gloved one. I didn't realise she was wearing gloves.
Walking in, the place looks beautiful. Colorful streamers hang from the being and reach to the other side of the building, tables surround the dance floor, a table that is in a row as food and drinks on it.
Prim squeals, "Its very pretty."
I nod agreeing. "It is."
"Ooh. There is Rue. Bye!"
I laugh at her as I spot Johanna standing alone leaning against the wall drinking "punch".
"Sup Johanna." She jumps a mile and turns to me and nods. "Brainless, not nice to scare people."
"Its not nice to greet someone rudely." I remark.
"Like you don't do the same." Jo protests back.
I put my hands in the air. "Point taken."
Looking around the place, I spot a blonde haired boy with a black tuxedo on and a red mask. He has a red tie to match and is staring at me. Raising an eyebrow, I turn back to Johanna who I n ok twice is wearing a short black lacey dress.
"Nice dress you are wearing, Johanna. You trying to impress someone."
She chuckles. "Funny you say brainless, cause a very cute, no hot, blonde haired blue eyed boy is walking here and ah. What can I do for you loverboy?"
Turning around, I do see that the guy who looks familiar and was staring at .e sis standing right in front of me.
"Funny Jo. I was actually wondering if you could dance with me?" The guys voice sounds even more familiar but I can't put a voice with a name.
"I would love too. Johanna, fix your attitude. There are a few people staring at you."
Jo just waves me off and suddenly I am dancing with this guy on the middle of the dance floor.
My hands are wrapped around his neck and his hands are on my waist. Thinking Out Loud plays in the background.
"Its beautiful in here." I say trying to get a conversation going.
The guy nods. "Yeah, but not as beautiful as you."
A small blush creeps up in my face. "Thanks. Do I know you? Sorry that sounds much less meaner in my head."
He laughs. "I guess you could say you know me. Marshy, how could you forget about me."
A small smirk forms on Peeta's face as my eyes widen.
"Peeta! What are-"
He interrupts me, "shh. Don't yell. Just l e an my head on my shoulder so we can talk."
I do as he says a d whisper in Peeta's ear, "Peeta, this is dangerous. If someone where to find-"
"They are not going to. There are many blondes and brunettes dancing together. We will be fine. But you will be mad at me because I signed you up for karaoke. Rumor says you have an amazing voice."
Picking my head off of his strong shoulder, I glare at my best friend. "How dare you Choco."
Choco laughs. "You will thank me later."
I smile a little. "You never know. I could stop meeting you and cut off our communication."
Peeta just smiles sweetly at me. "No one wouldnt do that. You wouldnt do that. I'm to pretty for anyone to not like me."
I hop my finger on his nose. "You never know."
We talk and laugh for a while until there is a tap on a microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen welcome to our masquerade fall ball celebration!"
Cheers fill the room as I turn to the stage and see Effie Trinket up on stage. "Well, I am very glad you are excited. Now we have an event happening now. Karaoke. And the first person up is..... Katniss Everdeen."
People clap and cheer all around me. Peeta gives me a thumbs up and I sarcastically s me at him.
I arrive onstage and pick the song I want to sing. It's a Sabrina Carpenter song called Eyes Wide Open.
Taking a deep breath, I start to sing.

La di da da da na
Yeah

Everybody loves to tell me I was born an old soul
Better keep my eyes wide open
There's so much that I don't know
Just another hotel room
Never felt so all alone
I think about my granddad's eyes,
And they always send me home
I can almost hear him now
Gotta make him proud

I keep my eyes wide open
Bless this ground, unbroken
I'm about to make my way
Heaven help me keep my faith
And my eyes wide open

La
Whoa

I can't see two steps ahead of me,
When the fog comes rollin' in
I never thought I'd miss the rain
Lord knows how long it's been
This dream burns inside of me,
And I can't just let it go
There's still so much that I don't know

I keep my eyes wide open
Bless this ground, unbroken
I'm about to make my way
Heaven help me keep my faith
And my eyes wide open, yeah

All I have is just this moment
And I don't want to miss a second
'Cause it could all be gone in an instant
Yeah, in an instant

I keep my eyes wide open
Bless this ground, unbroken
I'm about to make my way
Heaven help me keep my faith
And my eyes wide open

I'm about to make my way
Heaven help me keep my faith
My eyes wide open

Keep my eyes wide open

I finish the song and at first it's really quiet, but than the crowd erupts in cheers and applause. Smiling, I walk back to Peeta. He spins me around and dips me. "Not so bad eh?"
I laugh and give him a nod. All of sudden we are staring into each other's eyes and our lips meet. Peeta's lips are warm and soft. Sparks Fly everywhere. I put my hands in Peeta's hair as he puts his hands back on my waits standing me up right to pull me closer to him.
We both smile a little into the kiss. I pull away first even though I didn't want to.
"Peeta.."
He just gives me a sad smile realising what we just did. Peeta kisses my hand and walks away hands in pockets leaving me there wanting him to come back.

Hey guys. A little Everlark for you. Go check out that song Eyes wide Open by Sabrina Carpenter. The video is up top or on the left and let me tell you. I just listened to that song the other day and I love it now.
I hoped you liked the chapter.
I will update soon.
Please vote and comment.
Madi :)