Chapter Four

Chapter Four:

 My car battery died yesterday, so I was supposed to walk today. But I forgot! I can't walk now; it's like a 45 minute walk by itself! I pull out my phone from my side pocket and scroll through my contacts. Meghan, she drives to school and normally leaves pretty late! 

Hey, my car broke down! Do you think you could give me a ride to school? Pleease respond!!

Right after sending the text I send the same thing to about six other people. The only responses I got were saying no. I go back to my contacts scrolling through them for a last resort option. Seth, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. 

I know you've done me enough favors for the week but, my car broke down. Is there any chance you could give me a ride to school? 

I pray that he drives to school and hasn't left yet, is that too much to ask? I get out of my useless car and start to pace around my garage, looking for any other mode of transportation. Nothing. 

Buzz, buzz

My phone vibrates in the tight pocket of my skinny jeans. I quickly pull it out to check what the text says.

I guess I can make an exception...I'm at Starbucks. I'll be there in a few.

I let out a giant sigh of relief and walk out the side door outside as I type:

You're a life saver!

A gust of wind welcomes me to the great outdoors. I pull my polka dotted backpack onto the both shoulder instead of just the one. It's pretty quiet around this part of town, it's where all the business people live, who are already at the office and their perfect kids are at private school. I've lived in this red bricked house my whole seventeen years of existence.  I remember when my twin brothers, Caleb and Liam, were born, fourteen years ago. They’re already at school, I’m pretty sure they had some kind of sport they had to go in early for today. I sit down on the bench on my front porch to wait for Seth.

My nails are so thin, I think as I pick away at the light blue polish. I stop and pull out my phone. He better hurry up, it’s already 7:50, and the bell rings at 8:00 sharp.

Buzz, Buzz

My phone vibrates in my hand. It’s Seth.

Is your house number 245 or 246?     

I reply:

It’s 245, I’m waiting on the porch. You shouldn’t be texting and driving!

A silver car pulls onto my drive way, just as I click ‘send’. The windows are really tinted, it didn’t seem like the kind of car Seth would drive. The car door slams as he starts to walk up to the porch I’m sitting on.

“What’s the hold up?” He asks

“Noting, let’s --,” I suddenly remember that I forgot his shorts in the dryer.

“What’s wrong?” He inquires

“I forgot your shorts in my dryer,” I reply probably looking like an idiot with an overly concern look on my face.

“Oh, I kinda need them…” He says kicking a pebble on my driveway.

“Yeah, I’ll go grab them real quick. You can step inside if you want,” I say sticking my thumb over my shoulder in the direction of the house.

“Uh, okay,” he replies and slowly starts walking towards the house.

I spin on my heels and spin the door knob to open one of the French doors leading inside to the living room. I quickly walk over to the laundry room to grab his shorts out of the dryer.

“Nice place you got here!” Seth shouts from the living room.

“Thanks!” I yell back, closing the dryer door and returning to the living room.

I find him looking through my dad’s collection of DVDs. He has the newest James Bond movie in his hand. He puts it back when he sees me coming.

“Here,” I say holding his shorts out to him.

“That’s a pretty full collection of movies you got there,” He replies taking the shorts back into his possession.

I take my phone out of my pocket to check the time. 7:56, the bell rings in four minutes, there’s no chance of us getting there on time.

“We’re going to be late, the bell rings in four minutes,” I tell Seth.

“Well we better hurry,” He says beginning to walk to the front door.

Catching up with him, I close the front door behind us.  He’s already in the driver’s side of the car waiting for me.

I hop into the passenger’s side and close the door behind me. Just as the door clicks shut Seth pulls out of the drive way, not waiting for me to buckle my seat belt.

“What’s your first class?” He asks at a red light.

“History. What’s yours?” I reply.

“Geography,” He quickly spits out as he hits the gas pedal.

I glance over to the time, 7:59.  We’re defiantly not going to make it in time. I watch as the building fly past us, we’re pretty much down town now. The school’s maybe five blocks away. I glance over at Seth who has his eyes plastered on the road. It hits me that his sense of style is actually pretty attractive. He’s wearing dark wash jeans, and a red plaid shirt that he rolled up the sleeves to just above his elbow. On his head he has a black slouchy beanie that’s far back enough for the little flick of hair at the front to still stick out. Though I can’t see his feet to tell what he’s wearing for shoes. Realizing I’ve been staring at him for the rest of the drive to school, I quickly look away pulling my phone from my pocket trying to look busy.

We’re finally at school, the whole courtyard is cleared. I can’t remember the last time I was late for school. I always hated the thought of walking in when everyone’s already busy doing their work, and you walk in and they all turn their heads to look at you, even though you swore you weren’t even making sound. 

I flash out of my worried daze to see that Seth’s already outside waiting to lock the car. Quickly I grab my backpack from in front of my feet and step out of the car.

“You owe me like five. First I save you from ripped pants doom. Then I let you borrow my shorts. After that I gave you a ride to school,” he says numbering the list off on his fingers, “and how do you repay me? By making me late to school.”

“I’m sorry,” I say flashing an innocent smile.

He chuckles and continues to walk towards the entrance. I stumble a bit before catching up with him, just as he steps inside. We head to the office to tell them we’re here.

We say ‘hi’ to the oh so annoying secretary, grab our late slips and head off to first period.

“Geography class is just a few classrooms past your history class; do you want to walk together?” He asks as we step into the empty hallway.

“Sure,” I reply, thinking even if I said no we’d still end up walking together.

The history classroom was on the other half of the school, but the walk there felt too short. Just as I’m about to open the door to walk into History class I turn back to Seth,

“See you in gym,” I say smiling a bit before opening the door to the classroom. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I’m sorry my chapters are so short!! :( But I thought I should get up a chapter before someone kills me D: I’m sorry that I suck at updating! Any ways, I hope you enjoyed! Things should be getting more interesting from here on out so stay…tuned…reading? Lol :)

If you like my book feel free to vote, comment (I’d love some feedback / criticism!), and maybe even fan? ^.^

~Sarah