Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I heard the echo of Ashton’s voice, so far away, screaming something to me.

“What? I can’t hear you!” I yelled. The vent vibrated from the pounds of Ashton’s fists on them as he headed closer. Then I heard his voice once again, but clearer.

“I’m coming over. Don’t worry!” The thumps of his fists and knees got louder and louder as he neared me. Finally, he was right next to me. He opened his mouth, but he didn’t get a chance to say a thing, as the vent gave up from under us and broke open, leaving us to fall in a never-ending pit. I landed painfully on my back and felt Ashton land closely beside me. All my breath was out of me; I was winded. I coughed and took in gulps of the dusty air. Ashton groaned loudly, got up, and held out his hand for me. I reached out and held his masculine hand firmly, and he pulled me up to my feet in one tug.

“Thank you,” I said, but he wasn’t looking at me. I turned to where he was looking, and noticed that there was a huge hole in the wall. He went closer, and lit one of his matches, putting it inside.

“It’s another tunnel,” he notified. I peeked inside, squeezing my eyes.

“A tunnel? More like a slide!” I exclaimed and wiped my finger on it, noticing the dust accumulated there.

“Well, in both conditions, we have to go in. There is no way out,” he said as he positioned his legs inside and held on to the wall so he wouldn’t slip yet. “See you down there?”

I nodded in confirmation and watched him as he let go of the wall and disappeared into the dark dooms of the hole. I was left alone in the stillness, listening to the droplets of water dripping somewhere between the narrow four walls that I was between.  I felt trapped. I sucked in deep breaths and placed my feet in the hole, holding on to the wall just as I watched Ashton do a few minutes earlier. With one final shaky breath, I let go of the wall and slid down the dark tunnel, where I couldn’t see a thing. Misty air whipped my cheeks as I went down and all I could hear was a whoosh. Finally, I saw light beneath me and praised the lord. I was shoved out to the hard ground and rolled on it from the great pressure.

“Are you okay?” Ashton asked. I turned my head but he was nowhere in sight. “Down here,” came his voice again. I propped myself up on my shoulders, and slowly lifted myself up. Dizzy. I was so dizzy. Closing my eyes, I willed the lightheadedness to go away. When it did, I opened my eyes only to find out that there was a steep set of stairs leading to a dark room where I could vaguely make out Ashton’s figure. Behind him were rows and rows of electric conductors, separated from each other by consecutive wires, all discharging dangerous electric sparks. At the far end of the room, was a butterfly painted on the brick wall, identical to the one we saw outside.

“What are we supposed to do?” I asked and slowly went down the dodgy stairs. Each time I trudged on a step, a part of it would break in the shape of a rock and I would watch it as it fell down the entire flight.

“I should cross this room, can you see the table across?” he asked and I nodded. “Well, there is a card on it with some letters of the address where Hannah is. While I cross it, you shall go away from all harm, there,” he said and pointed to something behind me. When I turned, I noticed that it was a door, with the word “Coward” written on it.

“I can’t leave you! What if something happened to you?”

“Rosie, go.” Tears filled up my eyes but I turned and walked to the door nonetheless. I just had to pray to God that he didn’t fail that mission, or it was all over, for the both of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very short, but I had to stop it here because the next chapter is in Ashton’s POV!!! Wonder what will happen to him… ;)

Anyways, this story is finally no longer ‘on hold’ because I finished school, yayyy!!