Chapter 2

It really was unfair how my parents were making me start at a new school. It was the middle of the year and everyone had already made their little group of friends. But yet, here I was staring at my reflection in my bedroom mirror, deciding what to wear. I didn’t really have many choices though. Everything was still packed away in boxes and after the little incident with Eric yesterday, I didn’t really remember that I needed to unpack everything.

I finally found some dark wash skinny jeans, and a nice hot pink tank top, and quickly put them on. I grabbed my school bag and flew out the door. Being late on the first day was not an option. All my life I had always been a straight A student, and I wasn’t planning to change that.

When I got to school, I’ll admit I was pretty intimidated. This school is much larger than my old school, back home. I saw a group of girls whispering by the front doors, and pointing at another girl, who was across the field. I recognized one of them to be Cindy. You couldn’t miss her curly, bright red hair.

I kept looking around and saw a group of boys shoving each other around and laughing. I smiled as I saw Eric. It was nice to see a familiar face in a building full of strangers. He caught my eyes and smiled at me and waved. I guess his friends took advantage of this because it wasn’t long before he was on the ground, after being pushed over by one of the other boys in the group. I ran over to make sure he was okay and said, “Oh my gosh, Eric! Are you okay?” His face was red with embarrassment. I held out my hand, and helped him up. “Yeah, um, yeah I’m totally fine.” He said. The bell rang before I had a chance to respond. “Um, do you mind, helping me find my way around? I need to get my schedule from the office.” I said turning around to face Eric. But he was gone. Embarrassed, I walked into the school, trying to find my way.

When I finally found my locker, I put all my supplies inside and turned around to see, a girl with a big smile on her face. “Hi there! I’m Cassy! My locker is right here! I guess we’re locker neighbors!”

I was blown away by her cheerfulness that she had so early in the morning. “Hi, I’m Jen.” We shook hands and Cassy said, “Do you need help finding your way?” I smiled and said, “Sure! That would be great!” We both walked down to the office to collect everything I needed. While we were waiting for the secretary to print out my papers, Cassy asked, “So do you know anyone at this school?”

“Yeah Eric. He’s in our grade. He’s my next door neighbor” I said.

“Eric? Eric Carter?” Cassy asked with a shocked expression on her face,

“Yeah I think that’s his last name.”

Cassy just gave a small nod in response.

“He’s-”

“He’s trouble, Jen.” Cassy interrupted me.