Chapter One

I slid the key into the lock and twisted it, letting the two of us into the apartment. We set the groceries on the counter and leaned against it.

"Whew! They seriously need an elevator in this building!" Mila said, over exaggerating her panting. I shook my head slightly and smiled at her.

"It was only a couple floors!" I laughed and began to put the groceries in our fridge.

"Honey, it was eight of them!" Mila got herself a glass of water and went to sit at the table.

"It wasn't that hard." I smiled a cheesy smile at her and she rolled her eyes.

"Says the girl who goes for a run every morning at 5." Mila replied, setting her head on the table. I chuckled joining her at the table.

"I told you I would be happy to have company!" I smiled at my best friend.

"No, ma'am! I happen to like my sleep!" Mila declined.

"Your choice." I grinned, getting up to go to our room.

"And a good one at that. Hey, what time do classes start tomorrow?" Mila turned in her seat to look at me. I stopped in the doorway.

"They start overall at 8, I think but it depends on what you have tomorrow." I replied, before continuing into the room.

Mila followed me into our room and crossed it to flop onto her fluffy purple comforter. I sat on mine across from hers and took out my schedule for the tomorrow.

"You're a nerd." Mila said simply, her face half pressed into the mattress.

"Am not! I just want to graduate!" I said, feigning offense.

"Hey, now! So do I!" Mile grinned, sitting up.

"Do you now? What time is your first class in the morning?" I asked, mindlessly scanning my piece of paper and smirking at the second one beneath it.

"Um, I think... it's at... uh." Mila scrambled for her schedule on the table we shared as a nightstand.

"See?"

"Oh hush, Meredith!" Mila said. I chuckled.

"Mine is at eight, and yours is at," I flipped to her page and found the time. "8 as well! Perfect!" Mila glanced up at me and her frantic look turned into a glare, while I dissolved into a fit of giggles.

"Hey! You did that on purpose!" she accused.

"I... couldn't help...it!" I replied, gasping between each word.

Mila snatched her schedule from my hands and I collapsed onto my bed. She tucked the paper into a safe place and sat back down on her bed.

"You will pay for this," my best friend started. She was interrupted by her stomach growling. "After dinner." Mila finished and got up to go to the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes and sat up. I took a deep breath and stretched, my abdomen having not recovered from my laughing fit. I stood up and flicked the light off before going to help Mila with dinner.

*****

There comes a time in every person's life, whether male or female, that they need to leave the comfort of everything that they have ever known and face the world. It's either that or growing old in your parent's basement, doing their laundry, and being forever alone.

Leaving my world and stepping into the unknown was both a struggle and a blessing. I had to leave my angel of a mom and my younger brother Max back at home, but I also got the chance to create another person, another version of myself.

My dad died when I was ten, leaving me, my mom, and my two brothers, Kyle and Max. Kyle is a senior in college on the east coast and he is married to his high school sweetheart Beth. Max is a hyper active eleven year old who wishes he could live outside in a tree house forever.

My point is, this step in my life was scary and it is for a lot of people but by the time it's all over, you wish you could do it again. This is my life as Meredith Brown.

----------------

Okay, so this is a bit of a trial run. I want to start a new story and when I sat down to think about it, this is what ended up on the page so let me know what you think. I want the cold hard truth. :)

Vote and comment!

~JenLiz <3>