04

Just under a week later, Brooke was finally able to walk without crutches. Her physical wounds had healed but the emotional wounds were still there. Everything else was as normal as it could be. They were still trying to repair Stilettos from the damage it received during the shooting so she was out of work for now. Brooke was upset. She had been stashing away some money to save up for a new apartment since the one she currently resides in isn't in the best location. But because she's not working at the moment, all that money she had saved was going to have to go towards rent and her hospital bill. She would have to work two jobs to earn that money back.

In addition to all of that stress, Brooke had also decided that she was going to testify about what happened in Stilettos. Where she grew up, testifying made you a snitch. That didn't matter to her. Despite how she felt about the police, she knew that Carter deserved better. She wanted to do whatever she could to give him the justice he deserved. 

Brooke sighed at the thoughts there were clouding her brain. Suddenly, her door bell rang, causing her to snap back to reality. Brooke walked over the door and looked through the peep hole, wanting to get a glimpse of who was standing on the other side. Absentmindedly, Brooke smiled. It was Jay. She opened the door. Her smile faltered when she saw another man standing beside Jay.

"Two visits within a week? I must be in trouble," Brooke joked even though she was partially serious. She folded her arms across her chest, trying to hide the fact that she wasn't wearing a bra. She hadn't been expecting guests. 

"You're not in trouble or anything, don't worry," Jay spoke, noticing the troubled expression on her face. "This is Adam," Jay introduced. Brooke offered a small smile at him, which he returned.

"Not to sound rude or anything but why are you guys here then? Is there new information about who killed Carter?" Brooke asked. Jay sighed before answering, knowing Brooke most likely wasn't going to take the news well.

"One of the other witnesses from the shooting was murdered an hour ago. We think Marco Santos ordered the hit," Jay said to Brooke. The Intelligence Unit still had not found the man who fired the first shot at the club. They believed that Marco would be able to lead them to whoever pulled the trigger. Signs were beginning to point to the fact that Marco may be more powerful in the gang than they originally thought. Uneasiness washed over Brooke. She gulped, nodding slowly.