part three

"ben, don't you dare!" maddy ordered as he went to pick up the remote from its spot on the floor.

"okay, chill. i wasn't going to turn off your precious grey's anatomy. i was going to vacuum."

"you can't do that either."

"i can't clean? why?" ben asked.

"you can clean, you just can't vacuum. the vacuum is too loud."

"god, you get annoying when you're pms-ing." he muttered.

"what?" maddy asked, sitting up quickly.

"what? nothing." ben grew up in a house with three girls, he certainly knew better than to say that.

"i'm not pms-ing." maddy said quietly.

"okay, please don't do your quiet-angry thing. it really freaks me out, mads."

"no, i'm not angry, i'm just confused. what day is it?" she asked.

"uh, thursday?"

"not the day, the date ben!" maddy was all but shouting at him by now.

"the seventeenth, i think. why?"

"it's the seventeenth? oh my god, ben!" maddy quickly stood up and ran to the bathroom.

"what?! what did i do?" he yelled after her.

maddy didn't reply. she stood alone in the bathroom. she placed her hands on the sides of the sink and looked up into the mirror. "what did i do?"

maddy stayed there for a few more minutes, trying her best to breathe, but it wasn't easy. when she had worked up the courage, she went back to the living room to face her brother. he was sitting on the couch when she entered the room.

"ben, you're sure it's the seventeenth?" she asked.

"actually, i checked. it's the eighteenth." he told her. "maddy, why?"

"oh, god. oh my god. it's the eighteenth?!" maddy began pacing the floor.

"yeah." he paused. "maddy, what's wrong?"

"oh god. mom's going to kill me."

"maddy?"

"i'm going to have to call ashton."

"who's ashton?"

"he's going to hate me."

"maddy!" ben yelled and she looked up at him with full attention for the first time in the past few hours.

"what?"

"who's ashton?" ben repeated.

"i think that he's the guy who got me pregnant."

ben was silent and maddy just stared at him, not saying anything, but not wanting to hear anything he was about to say.

a few moments later, ben practically exploded.

"pregnant!?" he exclaimed. "oh my god! maddy, how?"

"he's the guy i met at the club a few weeks ago. remember, the one i told you about?"

"the one you had sex with? in the bathroom?"

"yeah, ben. oh god, how did this happen to me?"

"maddy, you couldn't remember if you had used a condom. so you must not have!"

"yeah, i must not have..." she mused.

"i told you not to bring std's into this apartment. i didn't even think that you could be pregnant!"