Actively Involved

*Picture of Serena in MM

Justin

I sat at my desk going over notes for the evening Bible study when there was a knock at the door. I rolled up my sleeves before I answered.

"Come in." I said spinning my leather office chair so that it faced the door. I saw her legs before I heard her voice.

"Pastor Carter, I'm sorry for interrupting, but I was coming to apply for the administrative assistant position that's open. I'm Serena Howard by the way." She smiled as she made her way towards me with her hands outstretched for mine to take.

"Of course." I shook her hand. "You would actually need to apply online-"

"Just like it was announced on Sunday. That position is internal applicants as of now. Are you even a member?" My current assistant, Viola entered my office with a Stern look on her face.

Viola Cooper had been my assistant since I've been at the church for the past two years. She was like a second mother to me. She was very watchful, especially if the women who came to my office. It was like she had a sixth sense for sniffing out those who had ulterior motives. The only reason that her position was opening was because her husband's health was failing and she wanted to spend more time with him.

"Actually, I am a member. I just joined Sunday as a matter of fact." She said and turned her attention to back to me.

"Mmm hmm. You weren't in the new members informational." Viola said placing the copies she held on my desk.

"I made a last minute decision and one of the deacons were nice enough to give me a one on one. So, Pastor?" She asked smiling.

"Well, as Sister Viola stated the application is online and we'll be doing call backs in the next week or two." I said standing in front of my desk leaning on the edge of it.

"Oh ok. I was also wondering if I could talk to you in private about some things. I just need a little advice." She tucked a piece of her hair behind her hair.

I looked at her as she took a seat in front of my desk crossing her legs. Her attire left nothing to the imagination, which is why I made sure to maintain eye contact during the exchange.

"That's why we have counselors, honey. The reverend is happily married and won't be doing any private meetings today." Viola informed her staring a hole through her.

"While, I would love to speak with you I do have a meeting to attend and I need to get going. Maybe it's something that one of our counselors or sisters can help you with?" I asked shutting down my Mac.

"Um, yeah. Sure. Maybe I can set something up another time. Do I take care of that with Sister Viola?"

"Cooper. My name is Sister Cooper and come on here so he can leave and you can schedule an appointment." Viola waved her hand towards the door so that she would walk out of the office.

"It was nice meeting you Sister Howard. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer." I shook her hand again.

"No problem. I'm sure there will be another time." She stood smoothing her hands along get body.