Chapter Ten-New York Beatniks II-New York; 1953

PART TWO

The next afternoon Carol arrived at the American Diner.

     She was upset.

     "What's wrong?".

     "Oh, Charles. Mom and Daddy disowned me. They heard we were suspended from school. And threw me out. How could they do that?".

      "My Mom did as well; Dad glared at me as well. And kicked me out as well. 'Go on, beatniks; go to your free World'".

      "What now?".

     "Now we ring Simon. And work". I hugged my fiancée, and we made sure we made it in New York in the growing underground beatnik scene.

~~~

Simon wasn't harassed by Bryon and Greg.

      "Tough break. My parents told me off. 'Got no future; got no money. Maybe I should be lucky as co-owner of 'American Diner', to have friends...enemies...beatniks. Hell, I am a rebel; we're all rebels; we're all New York beatniks...and that's true in this city".

       "Like a cigarette?".

        "Light up...".

        "Hello Simon. Miss me". Wendy walked in with Gina and Amy.

        "New girls in my gang".

        "You got a gang?", Carol smoked.

        "This is New York".

        "Gangs are in LA; beatniks are in New York". I told her.

         "What are you...funny".

          "Yeah...Gina's Italian".

           "Do you care?".

           "No, we're beginning again. Our parents hate us".

          "And that's that the way it is. Momma was nervous about beatniks. The underground is so new; so out there; so...in-your-face". Gina smoked a cigarette.

         "Rush hour is at 5pm".

         "Gina, where's Gino?".

         "Gino is doing repair job with Daddy".

         "Repair job".

         "The front door don't work".

        "Why not?".

        "It...Anyway, let's have something to eat. And drink, yes". Gina and Amy smiled.

      "Wow! Neon lights!" Amy moved towards the bright sign, "cool!". She took off her black colored hat, adjusted it, then stared at me with her black sunglasses.

       "Nice sunglasses", Simon smiled.

        "Yeah, where's your girlfriend?".

        "Uh...she'll be here soon".

        "Really? I heard you were seen with those homosexuals".

        "And".

       "And...nothing".

      "There's a lot of arts, cinema, and music guys...and girls at 'American Diner'". I told her.

      "I know. Beatniks, homosexuals, art types, music types, and eclectic mixture of New York's youth".

      "And you know them?".

       "Yes".

       "Gina's cousin is a jazz musician".

       "Wow, is a good".

       "Yes".

      "Anyway, let's head inside. I'll put a record on the jukebox. And the dance floor is going to rock", I smiled.

~~~

Big John arrived.

       "Hello, beatniks! Coming to see the show".

       "If you make trouble, go away". I pointed to the front door with my right hand.

       "Now, wouldn't you like to be a businessman, Charles. Not like a prankster. I am offended by the suggestion that I could trouble anyone. When you siphoned off my gas".

        "God, you still are angry by that". I sighed.

         "If anyone of you beatniks attempt to seal anything from me again...I'll make sure you're in jail for a long time".

         "No one's going to pull that stuff at the gas station. We're trying to make sure the Diner stays open. Simon and I got the license registered for five years".

         "That's good".

        "Yes it is. Now, some coffee shall suffice. Then the fun shall begin". Big John laughed, as he sat down on one of the spare barstools, and rested his tired legs, and smiled.

~~~

Page 11