Chapter 10

Jez is now part of my daily routine. I'm starting to get to know my mysterious intruder. We see each other every lunch hour plus random messages and daily 3-D calls. He's steadily gaining weight but he doesn't seem to care so I try not to pay attention to it either. I mean, it's healthier for him too, longer life and all. I stand in front of my mirror, choosing my clothes for the day. I click on the shuffle button – just like every other morning – and a randomly matched outfit based on my favorite colors appears on my reflection. That'll do. I tap a digital button and the clothes materialized themselves from what seems like thin air. I hurriedly put them on and head towards the vase on my bedside table. As soon as I reach the violets, I change their water and add a few drops of a chemical that enhances their perfume and longevity. I breathe in deeply: It smells of mom. She used to have flowers all over the house but as soon as she was gone, dad put an end to this "foolish hobby". Little does he know that I still have a bouquet in my room thanks to the little bottle of chemicals that I substituted from mom's things. Once I'm done tending to the flowers, I rush downstairs. The sooner I can get out of this house, the better.

Once I finally reach the door, I waste no time hopping into the pre-programed car. As it speeds off without a sound, my Padlet advises me that I have a new message. My eyes light up when I realize that it's from Jez. "Can't make it to lunch today sorry." Well this is going to be a long day. I look out the window as I wait for the car to stop in front of the school but all I can see are digital images with either my sister or my dad's pills on them. CalMore is literally everywhere. I hate those wretched pills. I don't care if they fatten you up by "magic", they are the main reason as to why I don't have a mom anymore. Disgusted, I look away from the window.