Chapitre 8

I stare at him, considering my options. "You're in... Art?" I guess. The look of disgust on his face is answer enough, "Um ok maybe not art. Math then?" a hint of a smile confirms that I'm right, "Yes ok, math. So maybe algebra?"

"Kind of. You're getting closer."

"Ok so sort of algebra. Um, codding? Like computer science?"

"You're getting there. A bit less specific though."

I pause to think this over, "Aha, I got it!" I exclaim, as it hits me, "You're studying at the Tech College next door aren't you?"

"Yup, you got me!" He admits while shoving his hands into his pockets "Now's the time when you realize that you're talking to a complete nerd and start running for real."

At first I think he's joking but his face is straighter than ever.

"What? And abandon my only student?" I say, faking a shocked expression, "Are you crazy? We haven't even finished covering the Padlet yet. If you think that you can quit my course that easily, you've got another thing coming young man."

A smile of relief or amusement or both lights up his face before he answers, "Ok master Tika, what's next?"

"You have to explain why you're in the city's most prestigious college and yet are still in dire need of my course." I order, "This will count for a third of your oral mark so make it good."

"Easy. Perfect score coming right up! I got into the college thanks to a scholarship that my grades at my old school earned me. As for the Padlet thing, my hometown didn't have any and this is only my third day in Arcis so I haven't had time to figure out how it works yet."

If he comes from a city without Padlets that means that he must have been really poor. Well, it kind of makes sense. I mean, seeing the lack of body fat and weirdly colored shirt. No one wears green here since it's not a color that's in right now. In fact, he's the first person I've seen in Arcis that's thinner than I am... and that's saying something.

"Does this mean that I can ask you a question now?" He hazards.

"Sure, the teacher will accept a single question while she grades your oral." I say, staying in character.

"A single one? Ok fine. It's better than nothing I guess." He looks directly at me before asking, "If your eyes could speak, what would they say?" with an intensity that I didn't even think he had in him.

Even though the question took me by surprise, I find myself answering "Hi" immediately. "Yeah" I confirm, "I think that they would just say that, "hi""

Jez shifts his gaze to a faraway point and smiles "I think so too Tika. I think they would say just that."