Chapter One

Chapter One

I could remember the day that changed my life, as if it was yesterday. I could see myself staring at my house, tears streaming down my face. A crowd started to appear, watching as two police officers rolled out a stretcher from my home. A white sheet covered the body, allowing no one to see who it was. Although most people knew anyways. A bump in the street caused the stretcher to shake, an arm fell and hung loose over the side. Squinting I could see a homemade bracelet with beads that spelt out "PEYTONS MOM".  My breath hitched as I watched the officers lift my mother's body up into the ambulance.

My life was crashing down on me, everything seemed to be in slow motion. Faces were blurred, voices were mixed together. I glanced at the audience only to see pity in everyone's eyes. People were huddled together, whispering and pointing. Some looked distraught, others looked devastated. 

It was too much. Seeing everyone's reaction. I couldn't even deal with my own. I looked around and noticed that everyone was busy taking care of my mom and staring at what was happening. Realizing that that would be my only chance for an escape I ran. From then on, my answers for my problems have been running. I didn't think how running would ruin my life. Well, more than it already was. I also didn't realize that with that choice, it would affect me from then on.

At the age of 13, I didn't really have an idea where to run to. So at that moment, I decided I would just hide in the bushes next to my house. It was difficult, having to stay in the cold and wet, all alone in the dark, while I watched the ambulance take my mother away. 

Once the ambulance left, the crowd dispersed. Everyone had left my yard except for a handful of cops. They seemed to have been having a serious discussion, and of course, being a curious child, I started to eavesdrop.

"The girl is going to have to go to a foster home. A couple of us went through the mother's files. The father left the family and no one seems to know where he is." 

"I couldn't find any information on any other relatives either." 

"Okay, then for right now, a foster home is for the best. Until we find out more information on the girl's family." There was a slight pause. "Wait..." Another pause. "Where did she go?!"

"She was over by the big tree earlier. Maybe one of the neighbors took her in for the night?"

"Okay, well you three men go to the doors of everyone on this road. Try to find out if they saw her. Maybe one will have her." The man cleared his throat. "The rest of us will start searching the house and the yard. She's only 13. She couldn't get too far."

I knew then that it was my queue to leave. There was no way I was going to a foster home. If I didn't have my mom, then I wasn't going to have anyone. I started to run, and luckily none of the cops noticed.

I knew that I would be okay. I basically had to take care of myself as it was anyways. How hard could it be?

I didn't realize that until too late, that that question would come and bite me in the butt sooner or later.