six

It was hot in the tiny enclosed space that was the closet of the gas station. Me and the girl was awfully close to each other and I saw it made her uncomfortable.
"Sorry about the alarm." I quietly apologized.
She glared at me but said nothing. I couldn't blame her. If I were her, I'd be pissed.
"So how did you survive all alone?" I asked her.
She put a finger up as a zombie groaned from the other side of the door. The akan m alarm was still blaring and the zombies were all attracted to it like moths to a flame. Then it stopped.

What seemed like hours had passed by, there was finally complete silence. We both looked at each other.
I reached for the knob and twisted it open, slowly. I peeked out the crack of the door and saw nothing.
"I think they're gone." I opened it all the way and looked around. Limbs from the rotting zombies were scattered all over the floor.
"That was reckless. And stupid." She had finally talked.
"I apologized already." I spun around.
She stared at me for a while then walked over to the counter.
"I didn't quite catch your name. What is it?" I asked her.

"Charlotte." She simply said, getting a pistol from behind the desk.
"I'm Luke." I walked over to her.
She shyly turned slightly. "I knew a Luke. He was cute."
I smiled, "Ah." We're finally talking.
"I think he's dead though, just like everyone else."
"Man, it's been fifteen years. Fifteen. Have you ever considered giving up?" I asked.
"Nah, I'm no quitter." She slowly smiled.
I turned and saw a school in the distance. Funny, I didn't see that earlier.
I pointed to it, "Have you been in there?"
She shook her head. "No, I was going to."
I started walking towards it, "Great, let's go."