Six

SIX: I DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING

AUGUST 4, 2009 10:21 AM

I managed to avoid Patrick for days. I tried all means possible to not see him on school. I spend very little time on the cafeteria and I haven't even called on a meeting for the council. I know, I couldn't keep this forever, but I'm not yet ready. I have to be ready to push him away when we see each other. I have to.

Jane seemed to be worried about my actions. She kept asking me what was wrong, but of course, I couldn't tell her. She wouldn't understand, without me explaining the time travelling thing and I couldn't risk it. I still haven't got my lead on this thing, and I'm starting to feel hopeless. I might be bound to stay here. I brought in food today so I wouldn't have to go to the cafeteria. Jane, though, kept on insisting that I eat with her.

"Please, weirdo! You haven't eaten with me for day. It sucks to eat without you. Plus its creamy carbonara special today. You can't miss that. Pleeeeaseee."

"Oh no, you didn't just used the puppy dog eyes on me. You know I don't fall for that shit."

"Shhh. Don't curse on public. You'll ruin your perfect image."

I rolled my eyes on her. I don't care. My 16 year old self might give a care about images and labels and status quos but I don't. "Okay fine. But just five minutes."

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO EAT IN FIVE MINUTES????"

"Figure it out. I don't want to be in that place."

"Someone's really moody these days. What the hell is wrong with you?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing. Let's go feed the monster inside you."

She narrowed her eyes and paused as if to think about my response but she didn't press. I just loved this girl even more. She understands when me even when I'm being such a brat. Now, I feel guilty for not telling her everything.

I was just stepping inside the cafeteria when I saw him. Our eyes met for a second and I ran away. Instantly. I don't want to see him. I don't want to be near him. I can't.

"Ria, wait! How about the carbonara?"

"I-I can't. Sorry Jane. Just next time. Okay?"

"Okay." Then she let me go.

I ran until I reached the old huge Sampaloc Tree in the middle of the school ground. There were only a few people and I'm guessing it's because of the creamy carbonara. They all want to be in the cafeteria. See, when I told you that thing was special, I wasn't lying. I found a bench and sat on it, catching my breath. This isn't going to work. Of course, I can't try to avoid him every time. We're in the same building for 5 days in one week. Eventually, I will have to face him.

I am so confused. The thing is I can't change anything from the past. I can't risk it. But I also do not want to fall for him again. I can't. I know how this ends and I don't think I could ever survive feeling that way again. If only I could just go back to my reality and escape from all this. I wouldn't have to deal with Patrick or see his face again. I buried my face in my hands and started crying.

I heard footsteps coming my way. No. He can't be here. I lifted my face and saw the last person I ever expected to see.

There, taking a seat on the bench beside me is my arch nemesis, Myla. This girl hates, sorry I meant that in capital, HATES me. We've been competing ever since preschool and I always gets the first place. She had sworn to make my life a living hell because of this, and in the beginning it used to bother me. In time, I learned to just let her do whatever she wants to do. This is why I never expected her to come see me here. I also would have never expected the first thing that came out of her mouth.

"Hello there, anachronism."