Chapter 7

Chapter 7

(Sophie's POV)

"What the hell do you think you were doing burning our dinner in front of out new neighbors?! What's wrong with you?!" He screamed at me. I immediately jumped at how loud he was screaming. The angry ness in his voice made me get goosebumps. This can't be good. "You embarrassed our family in front of our new neighbors! Was that your plan all along?! To make us look bad?!" He boomed. I was shaking so bad, he has gotten mad at me before, but never this mad. He still had the knife in his hand. Just as I was examining the knife, he lunged at me. I wasn't expecting it, and jumped just before he landed on me. I landed on the floor with a thud. Pain shot through my body, and I felt all my previous cuts start to bleed again. My dad looked up at me and cussed. "YOU DON'T RUN AWAY WHEN IM TALKING TO YOU!" He started to get back up, but I was ahead of him. I was in so much pain already, I couldn't take a third beating in one day. I took off and sprinted out of my room. I knew he wasn't far behind. I could hear his loud footsteps behind me. I ran down the stairs and sprinted out the front door. My body ached, but I pushed through it. If he wasn't already really mad, he was now after I had run out on him. Neither of my parents have ever used a knife or any kind of "weapon" to hurt me with. There was the occasional spoon or bat, but never a knife or anything like that, and that scared me. "GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!" He screamed. I could tell he was near me by the closeness of his voice. I ran faster, I couldn't let him catch me. I knew it would either end with me dead or very severely injured.

(Hunters POV)

Sophie's parents didn't even let her say goodbye. I wanted to talk to her so bad. I now knew what was going on with her, after what I had seen in the kitchen earlier. Once we got home, my parents demanded I tell them what I was doing in their house earlier. My parents would never approve of me snooping through their house, but once I explain everything I hoped they would understand. I sat down on the couch with them and explained the whole story. I started with noticing her mom yelling at her when she first answered the door, to her scared expression when she heard her mom screaming. Then I explain how later I thought something was up, and confirmed my suspicions when I saw the large bruise on Sophie's cheek when she turned around. I went on to explain how I excused myself so I could go talk to her, but soon had to leave because her mom came in saying she needed to talk to Sophie. I lastly explained how I saw how worried Sophie looked when her mom walked in, so I went into the bathroom to see if anything would happen. I then slowly explained the beating I saw to my parents, holding back tears the whole time. My parents both started to tear up, and I knew I wasn't in trouble for what I had done. "So what should we do?" I asked after I blinked back all my tears and my parents finished wiping theirs away. "We need to invite her over and talk about this immediately." My mom explained in a shaky voice. They were both pretty shaken up about what I had just told them. "Okay. May I walk over and get her?" I asked her. "Sure sweetie, but sweet and just say we would like to invite Sophie over for a bit." She replied. "Okay. I have my phone in case anything happens, and I'll be back in a minute." I said as I walked out the door, slipping my converse on. I walked across the street to Sophie's house, and knew something was wrong as soon as I reached the door. It was wide open and it looked like someone had run quickly out of the house. The rug on the outside of the door, and the one inside the house were both pushed backwards really far. I got a bad feeling in my stomach as I thought of what could of happened. I decided if someone had run they might have driven away. I looked at their driveway and all of the cars looked like they were there. If they hadn't driven off, then they must of ran away. I looked down the street both ways, and that's when I saw it. Someone was chasing a small girl down the street. The guy chasing whoever it was looked very angry, and had a weapon along with him. Then it hit me, that was Sophie! Someone was chasing her! I didn't even have to think about what I did next, I took off down the street at full speed.

(Sophie's POV)

I was running out of energy and was in to much pain to run much further, and my dad knew it. He was gaining on me very quickly, and I knew it wouldn't be long until he caught up with me. I turned the corner of the street and ran up the next street, trying to get some space between us, but my dad was thinking ahead of me. He cut thought the yard connecting the two streets and tackled me. My body hit the concrete with a bang. I could already feel blood covering my body from falling. He flipped me over, so he was on top of me and punched me in the face. He hit me in the same cheek my mom had, but he caused my cheek to cut open. I felt the blood drip down my face onto the ground below me. I felt a sharp pain in my right side, and looked down to see my dad had stabbed me. I felt another sharp pain in my stomach, and that was the last thing I remembered before I blacked out.