Chapter Three

Come morning, the fire was out and all those in the loft of the stables were soundly sleeping. This is why they heard nothing of the story behind what had happened the night before.

"The Madame deChangy went mad last night," hushed voices gossiped on around every corner as they looked to the manor, burnt to the ground, embers still glowing. There were those brave enough to sift through, looking for bodies of those who may have been trapped in the fire.

"I heard it was another child lost.." some said.

"She didn't look bigger, though," others replied. And she hadn't been, but the mothers could see how Christine could go mad after all the lifeless children the woman had birthed.

"It's a shame.. She had a wonderful life with the Viscount," one sighed as she bought a loaf from the baker.

"Did he survive it? The fire?" the baker questioned. Many had not seen the Viscount... But he had been one of the first out of the house, the second only to his wife who had set the fire and darted from the house. Raoul had chased after his wife into the forest, but had not made it far when she had lost him. Still, he searched all through the night and into the morning... It was nearing noon when he emerged from the forest, looking tired and disheveled. He nearly collapsed as soon as he came into the open, and if he had there would have been people who would have caught him. Monroe was among them, but instead the Viscount stayed on his feet, Monroe supporting one side of the man and a stablehand the other as they led him to the home of the town's doctor.

Three burnt corpses were found in the ruins of the house. Presumably, they were the servants who did not make it out. In total, the Viscount employed nine workers- four cooks, four household servants, and one woman who looked after his wife's needs. The woman was among those dead, though no one would know that she hadn't been merely killed by the fire. Oh no, there were much more wicked secrets which burned in the deChangy Manor..

Come nightfall, though, everyone had gone to bed. It had been an exhausting day... And this was perfect opportunity to escape the town to the harbor for those departing that night. The carriages were loaded with the ballerinas and Olivier and Madame Giry, covered and well hidden. Monroe had bid his son one last goodbye before sending him off. Four carts, four horses, and four of Monroe's most trusted coachmen made a slow, quiet exit, only picking up speed when they were farther away. Surely Monroe could explain away the night trip of four of his carriages, but it would be much easier if he had no need to.

However their slow pace out made another problem very easy to come into play. Christine deChangy, hidden in the forest, had seen these carts depart. She was desperate for a way to get far from the town fearing once her husband spoke out, she would be condemned to an asylum. Raoul would see to it, she knew he would.. Lucky for Madame deChangy, the last cart in the line held only luggage, so when she crept behind it noiselessly, she was met with no hostility that she might have if she had disturbed the already anxious group. The coachman felt the odd dip of the cart as the weight was added and glanced back, but the smart woman had already hidden herself beneath the tarp, so he shrugged it off deciding it was only a indent in the uneven ground that had done it. It was reasonable to think the late night and the tense atmosphere this trip held were making him antsy. With a shake of his head, he looked forward.

In the cart ahead, half of the group hid, hardly making a sound. Helen, the youngest of the ballerinas at only fourteen was curled at Angeline's side as she tried to soothe her. Olivier gave both the petite girls sympathetic smiles.

"Don't you all worry," he whispered, taking one of Helen's hands and squeezing it gently, "Soon we will be on the ship and nothing will stop us. We will go to America where my dear Florence and her father await us. You will dance for audiences who have never beheld the grace of such talented ballerinas and things will be much better... This I promise."