Chapter 3

I hope you all like this one :)

*******************************************************

Ashley's P.O.V.

"Her name was Mia?"

Shawn shook his head muttering, "Ashley calm down there's no way it was her, she's in prison remember?"

"No she is not Shawn, it was on the news this morning, she escaped jail last night."

He paled greatly as my words sunk in and he stuttered, "I-It couldn't have been her, the girl was blond and she had a thick country accent."

I hastily shook my head no saying, "She could have been wearing a disguise. Shawn if that was her she knows where we live now. We aren't safe here until the authorities put her back in prison." 

Shawn let out a deep sigh, "I'm so sorry Ashley, I might have just put us in so much danger."

I thought about it for a minute before stating my idea, "Look when my mom comes over from Kentucky for Ainsley's birthday we'll just let my mom take her for a week, that will make me feel a lot better for a little while knowing that our daughter is safe."

Shawn nodded, looking sick with himself and I felt so guilty that I hadn't told him sooner and maybe this wouldn't be happening right now; but there's no turning back. We attempted to pick up our spirits when Ain came scurrying back in the room with the book, Good Night Gorilla, in her small hands.

"This mommy!" She cheered holding the book high above her head.

I nodded with a honest smile and we all went about our normal nightly business, had dinner, gave Ainsley a bath, and got her ready for bed. After reading her the bedtime story she choose I sat in her room for a while, watching her sleeping form, worrying about the coming days before her birthday. I just want this to end, I don't want her to be caught in the crossfire of the choices I have made, even though I would never have taken back a single one of them.

I placed a feather light kiss on her forehead, careful not to wake her and went to get a shower. As I cleaned up I tried to think up some sort of plan, a way to keep Vanessa out of this house or at least to able to defend my family and then it occurred to me, a gun. I never wanted to bring that kind of thing around Ainsley, but it seemed like the only logical thing to own right now. I decided that tomorrow I would drop Ainsley of at Kaitlyn's since she and Dennis just love Ain to pieces while I go buy a gun. I stepped  out of the shower, dried off, and went to my bedroom for some night clothes to find Shawn fast asleep; well  so much for whatever he had planned for me.

The whole night I kept waking up, I was restless with worry. So the next morning it was no surprise that Shawn had already left for the studio, but what I did find surprising was that Ainsley was curled up next to me. I gently moved out of my bed and went into the hallway with my cellphone in hand to call Kaitlyn.

"Hey Ashley!" She greeted me, sounding cheery.

"Hey Kaitlyn, I was just wondering if you and Dennis were busy today?"

"He's at the studio, but I'm free. What do you need?"

"Would you mind watching Ainsley for a little bit?"     

"I'd love to! Bring her on over!" She exclaimed excitedly, it's no surprise that she just adores kids. 

I laughed, "Alright, I'll get her ready and we will be over in a little while. Thank you for this Kate."

I could visualize her shrugging when she said, "It's no big deal, besides its fun for me."

I spoke to her for a few minutes more as I got Ainsley and myself an outfit together before telling her goodbye. I woke Ainsley and we got ready quickly so I could get this done before Shawn got home. When I locked up before leaving I basically checked every lock twice, making sure there was no way anyone could get inside. In some ways when I dropped Ain off, talked to Kaitlyn for a bit, and began searching for a gun shop; everything seemed to be in a fast forward, but at the same time in slow motion. Like I was racing a clock, but I was barely moving all at once and it made me sick that I might be right. I feel as if I'm fighting something that can't be beaten, but I refuse to not at least try to put a stop to this; for it to finally end permanently.

I finally came across a small gun shop and parked in the tiny parking lot, once inside I glanced around at the mounted animal heads before walking up to the glass cases that held a variety of hand guns. I looked around till I spotted a powerful looking pistol.

"That right there is a mean little gun, don't let it's size fool you." A older gentlemen stated taping the glass over the gun I had been checking out.

"My dad used to take me out shooting with him, so I'm pretty familiar with these things." I explain turning my gaze up to him.  

"Alright well this here," He began opening the sliding glass door and pulled out the gun, "is a 38 caliber pistol, its just a smidgen bigger than a 9 millimeter."

He pushed the weapon to me and I picked it up, slightly surprised by its weight. It had been such a long time since I had last held a gun. It felt good to have that kind of power in my hands again, the feeling I've always gotten from any gun. I knew exactly what I was messing with.

"I'll take it." I say handing the gun back to him.

He smiled, nodding as pulled out the registration papers for me to fill out and handed them to me. I quickly finished the paper work and he checked it in the system, making sure my record is clean. We finally finished up and I was able to buy the pistol. I quickly made my way home and stashed the gun before heading back to Kaitlyn's to get Ainsley. After I had all my tasks done I ordered a pizza for dinner and as Ain and I ate I felt a since of calm wash over me. For once I had the upper hand.

Vanessa's P.O.V.

I adjusted the blonde wig into a ponytail and watched Ashley do her daily business, or what I assumed it to be. I saw her get her small brassy blonde daughter out of the car and felt a sting of jelousy; not because she had Shawn's baby, but simply because she had one. I shook the thought out as she climbed back into her jeep and began to follow her, making sure to stay fallen back so she wouldn't spot me. Ashley drove around for a while until she stopped at a gun shop and I felt a grin spread over my face. So she thought she could fight me back?

I'm almost positive she couldn't shoot  me, she's never been faced with the task of killing another human being. I on the other hand am heavily practiced in the art of murder. I laughed softly at the thought of her standing to face me as I started my stolen car and head for a phone booth, to care of the business at hand.

I quickly put in some change and dial the number, of course I got the voice mail as usual. "Hey I'm out. I'm gonna come by tomorrow, be ready."

I hung up and decided to give Shawn another visit from the "country girl", but  tomorrow my real plans would begin.

*******************************************************************************************************

This chapter may have seemed uneventful, but I assure you two very important things just happened. You'll figure it all out later ;)

Ta ta for now!

Ak out!!