5 - The Duel at Godric's Hollow

Chapter Five - The Duel at Godric's Hollow

Halloween - 31st of October, 1981

Godric's Hollow

It was Halloween. James woke up late, and Lily even later. Harry had not been sleeping well for a while, and they had been up until four in the morning almost every day for nearly two months, trying to stop Harry's cries. Even when he did fall asleep, Lily would toss and turn, waiting for the next lot to start.

The night before Halloween, Harry had been particularly restless, and James and Lily had finally slept at around 5:15 in the morning.

"Good morning Lils," James yawned.

"Morning sweetheart," Lily replied. They kissed.

"Long night, eh?" James remarked. "God, I'm exhausted."

"There's no magical cure for exhaustion, is there?" Lily asked.

James shook his head sadly.

"I guess there's only one option then." Lily said.

"What?"James asked sleepily.

Lily smiled. "Coffee."

"I can't believe you even like this stuff!" James exclaimed, spitting out the bitter substance.

"I don't, not really. I much prefer tea." Lily shuddered. She summoned the milk jug and the sugar. After putting some in her own cup, she offered it to James.

"Try this. It improves it."

James tried, and agreed that it did, but argued that "It's still too bitter! Who even drinks it?"

Lily patiently explained that it was a muggle drink mainly, but some wizards did drink it. Just then, cries became legible from Harry's room, and effectively cut off James's response.

Lily looked pointedly at James. "I'll get him," he grumbled.

Harry didn't really understand Halloween, but James conjured up a pumpkin to carve anyway. Harry, along with Lily and their cat, Miere, watched in awe as he carved an intricate face with his wand, magicked up a candle, and let the light shine through, illuminating a perfect replica of Harry.

Lily smiled at her son, who was clapping and giggling at the pumpkin. She had to admit - it was very good.

"What do you think Lils?" James asked.

"I think it's brilliant," she admitted.

"What? Are my ears deceiving me? Did Lily Potter just compliment my work?"

"Yes," Lily said grudgingly.

"I didn't quite hear that," James sang.

"Yes!" Lily exclaimed. "It's amazing."

"Wow. Now that's high approval," James grinned, and kissed her softly on the forehead before wrapping his arms around her.

Lily fell into his embrace. "I am so lucky to have you," she whispered.

"As I am to you," he replied. "Thanks."

Lily smiled. "Thank you."

Her calm face suddenly changed. "What idiot turned their back on a one year old with a candle?" she panicked.

"Oh don't worry. I cast a protective charm, he can't hurt himself. And I'm an idiot now, huh?"

Lily's lips twitched. "Not any more."

After a dinner of pumpkin soup, pie, and plenty of sweets, Lily and James took Harry into the living room. James got out Harry's toy broom.

"Might tire him out!" he said hopefully.