Filipino Traits and Characteristics

Characteristics of Filipinos

Filipinos has one of the best traits in the world one of you must know. Although they have been colonized by several countries, core values from their ancestors remained intact and is still applied up to this time. Filipinos are not perfect, but they have great characteristics and qualities everyone of them must be proud of. Below are some lists of positive and negative traits of Filipinos not everyone may know.

Positive Traits

1. Hospitable

This is one of the most popular qualities of Filipinos. Foreigners who have gone to the Philippines find themselves falling in love for their hospitality. It's a different kind of values which already existed thousands of years ago. Examples of hospitality that they show not only to foreigns but also to their fellow citizens

* When one visits a friend's house, they greet them with a very warm welcome. They let their visitor sit down and prepare them a meal or a snack plus drinks for them. They may not want you leave the house with an empty stomach. They make sure you had a great time visiting them.

* They offer their guest room to their visitors if they're going to spend the night with them.

* Meals offered are very special, if not, they make a way to prepare great tasting food that their visitor wanted to eat.

2. Respectful

This is often observed not just from younger people but also from older ones.

* Children respect elders by saying "po" and "opo" which means "yes" when answering their elders.

* Children or young adults also show respect by putting their elders hands on their forehead.

* Filipinos also show respect at work by making a bow to their employers when they're around.

3. Strong Family Ties and Religious

Yes. Filipinos value their families so much that they tend to be so intact.

* They go to church and pray together because their religion is important making God as the center of their life.

* They have quality time together especially after a day's work. Just watching television or eating together is one great quality that they value most.

4. Generosity and Helpful

This is observed when one person has nothing and they tend to share what they have to them.

* During special occassions such as birthdays or "fiestas"- a celebration when people from other places visit your place to celebrate with you, there are lots of foods specially prepared for everyone! It maybe your friend, family, a friend of your friends or even strangers can gather and they are willing to share foods.

* When a neighbor is in trouble, they are always ready to help them.

5. Hardworking

Yes, they are hardworking people to the fact that they are willing to work several time to almost whole day just to feed their families. That's how Filipinos are.

* One example of a hardworking person is a farmer, they earn so little but still they tend to work very hard for few bucks.

* Filipinos always find ways to earn for a living like putting up a small business from their home wherein they sell foods or other items for the convenient of their neighbors as well.

6. Loving and Caring

This is so true! Filipinos are the sweetest and loving people in the world. I don't know why, I'm not saying this because Im a Filipino but dude, you gotta know them well.

* Men are so sweet and romantic when it comes to love, they will send you flowers, bring you to a very romantic place, they text you sweet quotes and often tell you how special you are to them.

* Filipino women are also romantic and very caring, that makes foreigners want to marry a kind like them. Women tend to prepare dinner before their husband comes home. They are so loving that they value the relationship which make them so faithful to their husband. And they will love you for the fullest.

Negative Traits of Filipinos

I don't want to sound so arrogant, Filipinos are not perfect and we have some trait which really represent what some Filipinos are.

* Fatalism - An attitude wherein "what goes around, comes around" or "come what may". They tend to surrender their future on fate.

* Crab mentality- This is often observed in politics wherein they tend to push eachother down for the benefit of themselves to go up so they try their best to make the person drop or ruin. I think it goes to the term selfishness.

So these are just few common Filipino traits I can give, there are so many out there but these are the ones who really stand out from the rest. If you wanna know more about them, you can travel Philippines and you yourself will discover the beauty. I hope you enjoyed.