Chapter 5: Love you, Goodbye.

Autumn's POV.

Behind me the door bangs a little harder than I intended it to.

I JUST RAN INTO HIM.

I JUST RAN INTO HIM.

I JUST  RAN INTO HIM.

AGAIN!

OH MY GOD!

Why am I even thinking about this NOW? I should be concentrating on what's important at the moment.

A block away, I see a florist's. Oh, finally! I start walking as fast as possible. After a few minutes, I reach the shop, the smell of fresh flowers: pleasant and strong. I take in a long breath, closing my eyes.

"Yes, ma'am?", one of the employer of the shop asks.

"Oh, um, I would like a dozen tulips." I say giving him a weak smile.

"Right away". He says and within a few minutes comes back with the flowers in his hand, neatly wrapped.

"That would be £9." He says.

"Um-" I begin to contradict him. But, just then, his voice plays in my mind.

"Is it like your hobby or something? Bargaining?"

I shake my head, draining his voice away. I am about to begin to strike a bargain, but a thought occurs to me. Why should I bargain? £9 for fresh tulips seems fair, doesn't it? Hmm..

"Okay." I say as I place the money in his hands and take the flowers. Now I've got to get home as soon as possible. I turn towards the busy road.

"Taxi!" I call out while stretching my hand out. One stops in front of me and I get in.

***

"Nana, I'm back!" I shout while placing my bag on the table in the living room. I could hear her singing in the kitchen, so I walk towards it. As I near the kitchen, the sweet smell of cooking hits my senses.

"Nana, what are you doing?" I ask, placing my palm on the small of her back.

"Oh, darling, you are back!" She says, kissing my cheek and hugging me.

"Yes, I am." I grin, hugging her back. "And these, are for you, my sweetums." I say, presenting the tulips I'd bought for her.

"Oh! You shouldn't have." She says, taking in the smell of tulips with a long breath. "They are beautiful." She says, smiling.

I smile back at her. "You didn't answer my question yet." I say.

"I was just cooking some food for you to survive on." She says, resuming her work.

"For what?! I do have food to survive on."

"Like what? The frozen packets that you buy from the supermarket? No, ma'am. You shall not eat that. I threw them away, by the way." She says, with a straight face.

"What?!" I say, my eyes, bulging.

"Yes, now." She says, switching the stove off. "the food that I've cooked would last you for about a month."

"Uh-huh."

"And, after that, I request you to not buy that ghastly food from the market but rather cook some fresh food for yourself."

I nod. "Have you finished packing?"

"Yes. I am done. All packed and ready to go." She says, clapping her hands together.

"So fast? Too eager to get away from me, eh?" I say playfully, lightly pinching her arm.

"Oh, yes. I cannot just bear your snoring throughout the night." She plays along.

"I do not snore!" I say, acting offended. Both of us giggle.

"Come on, help me pick out an outfit for the travel." She unties her apron and holds my hand, pulling me towards her room.

***

We walk through the railway station, our hands locked. We reach the platform.

"Do you really have to go?" I turn toward her, my eyes stinging with tears.

"Darling," She says, taking my hands into hers and pushing my hair back. "I do. It is only temporary, you're coming home soon."

"Yes, but what am I supposed to do all alone?"

"You did tell me you had a new assignment. Is that Marshall making you work hard?" She has never been a big fan of him.

"Not really." I say, my voice small.

"Well, don't let him." She says, wiping away the tears that escaped. "I love you."

"Mm-hmm." I hum. I just can't help it. She is the only family I have got since..since then. We've been each others worlds since then. "Love you too, Nana." I say, hugging her.

At this, the announcement for the departure of the train is made. I help her get into the train and place her luggage in the compartment. I walk back onto the platform.

The train begins to move. She waves at me through the window, her face glistening. She is crying.

I wave back, the tears running uncontrollably down my cheek and I don't make any attempt to wipe them away.

"Goodbye, Nana." I say to myself and watch the train leave the station.