i. a flower quickly fading

Dedicated to Chesca, my partner in crime, for being such an awesome friend. I promise I'm gonna find you in this world somehow, even if it means I won't eat cookies for a month lol. Ily Chesca! 

                                               - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                                                  p a g e  o n e

                                               - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                          ❝ We can't see the hook, we can't sell the look,

                                               I hear it everyday.

                               You won't be a star if you're who you are

                                              So I just fade away. ❞

                                                - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Taylor sighed, staring at a few leaves as it flew slowly with the wind. She heard her phone’s ringtone nearby but her mind was too far off to even hear the sound of Lawson’s Standing in the Dark playing in the background.

 She subconsciously fiddled with her fingers as she continued to focus on the brown and orange leaves falling down the ground. A sudden thought occurred to her before giving out a small smile. Closing her eyes, she saw a younger, curlier Taylor running past the pumpkin patches in an attempt to catch up with her younger brother in a game of tag. She saw more pictures, pictures that gave her a leap of hope, pictures that gave her something to hold on for. 

Though, as quick as they came, they all faded at once. 

“We need you to record a few songs.”

Her phone continued to ring and her mind continued to ignore it. She didn’t want to hear from them. Not now at least.

“Here they are. Nothing fancy really but these.. these would surely boost the sales of your next album.”

Taylor opened her eyes. A cold breeze swept past her and she quickly got a hold of her maroon coat, holding it tighter against her aching body. She was extremely tired.

“And I can guarantee you, next year is going to be phenomenal in the charts.”

Her gaze stayed on the autumn leaves until a breathtaking view, much more interesting than falling leaves, came to place.

 A sunset.

“I don’t know about this. I mean, I think they’re pretty nice, it’s just that…

There were drops of orange and violet that were scattered across the sky like bursts of paint in an abstract painting.

I don’t know if I…

Thin clouds surrounded the scenery, hiding a part of the sun’s face from the wide-eyed girl staring back at it.

it’s just not… me. ”

 It was amazing.

 “Oh please, it’s just a few songs, Taylor. You need to try and do something… new. You can’t always stick to country all the time.”

 As the sunset gradually faded away, painting a new scene of stars glimmering in the night sky, Taylor began to think of how much she missed her old self and how much she would love to find it again.

 “You need to change for once. You can’t be a star if you’re the same old eighteen-year-old girl in the bleachers. There's no spark in that anymore.

 And for the first time in months, the pop star broke down

                                                - - - - - - - - - - - - - -