The Man at the Door

Maxim paced the room. It was well past eleven, and the whole house was asleep but him. He looked up only every once in a while to look over at Lily. She was getting worse by the minute. He was waiting for a miracle. Then, right when the clock struck 12, and as the 12th bell rang through the village, there was a familiar booming knock on the small wooden door. Maxim rushed over to it, and opened it immediately.

It was the man from the night before. He stepped into the house uninvited, and lowered his cloak.

" 'twas I who set the curse on your beloved wife. For you have not given me what I asked. I am here for the girl. If you give her to me, I will lift the curse and begone. If you fail to follow my instructions, your precious wife will die right before your greedy eyes. Which do you wish to lose?"

Tears welled up in Maxim's eyes as he mentally prepared himself for the decision he has made. He walked over to Aurora's small bed, and lifted her up out of it. He kissed her forehead, and let his tears drip down his cheeks onto her small nose. He went back to the man.

"YOU TREAT HER WELL! YOU HAVE BEEN BUT A BURDEN TO MY FAMILY. GO!"

He handed Aurora over, and slammed the door. Outside, the man snapped his fingers, and the sickness left Lily.

Sorry for the short chapter, I just want to start off the new one with a bang! Thanks for reading, and write any suggestions or things in the comments, I love reading them!