14.

chapter dedicated to @dyslexics    

BY the time Nick's eyes had adjusted to the dim light of the nightstand lamp, he noticed how the warm, yellow color of the light bulb wasn't the only thing illuminating the room. Several flashes of red and blue lights made their way inside through the window, making Nick realize what was going on.

"Do we hide?" a voice asked as Nick sat up. Two girls were standing in front of the white door, their backs turned towards Nick.

"I don't know –where the fuck is Garret?!" one of them hissed. Soon, somebody began tugging on the door knob, and the girls froze in their places until the person behind the door spoke.

"Nova? Are you in there?"

The blonde girl rushed to the door and swung it open, a sigh of relief escaping her lips.

"Adrian! Get in!"

Three boys made their way inside Nova's room quickly, and Nick noticed the mop of burning red hair in one of them.

"Turn the light off!" the one with the pink and blonde hair ordered, soon his eyes landing on the boy who was sitting up "Nick, you're awake."

"Nick," Garret rushed to his side "are you still high?"

"What is going on?" he asked. Nick wasn't even sure if he was high. Hell, he wasn't even sure if he had been.

"The cops are here, and if you're still high, we're in one hell of trouble."

"Hide him in the closet!" suggested Hailee.

"No, you have to get out of here." said Nova.

"You mean us."

"I have to stay here. It's my house, after all." Nova said with a hint of hesitation noticeable in her voice.

"They'll arrest you!" hissed Garret.

"Then what do you expect me to do? I can't run away and leave the house alone!"

Suddenly, Nick shot up from the mattress and basically jumped to the window, peeking outside the curtains and looking at the street. There were two police cars in front of Nova's house, and if you paid enough attention, you could see certain teenagers running away from the street or hiding in their cars.

"I don't think they'll come in and check us all." Nick said, closing the curtains once again.

"It's probably a noise complaint!" said Adrian, who was biting on his nails harshly.

"But they'll look for the owner of the house –that's me!" said Nova, her face filled with panic.

Downstairs, they could hear a voice echoing through the walls and all the way up to the stairs.

"Everybody out! The party is over!" the murmurs and complaints from the drunken teenagers soon replaced the single voice, not toping it as it seemed to be kicking them out.

"I'm going to watch." Garret said, slowly opening the door.

"No! Garret they'll see you!" whispered Hailee worriedly.

"No, I'm just going to take a peek from the stairs." he said, ushering her off and quickly disappearing through the door.

As the white piece of wood closed, Nova turned to face Nick.

"So, you're alright?" she asked softly, placing her hand on top of his.

"Well, for someone who has been drugged twice without their consent, I think I'm doing pretty well." he said, making Nova smile.