draft

It had been simple curiosity at first. Simple unadulterated curiosity. An innocent need to know about that which was alien. How could he have known back then that such an unassuming encounter would change his heart forever?

Such were the thoughts that ran across Victor's head as he, prompted by his conversation with Stephen, reminisced about that fateful day. He could still remember it; see it in his mind's eye as clearly as if it had happened just yesterday.

He had travelled to the east; climbed the high mountains of the Himalaya, while skillfully dodging the wrath of dragons which nested there; and going over creeks and rivers to reach the valley of beauty and riches. There, civilization had blossomed to new heights, and Victor had wished to taste the atmosphere.

Extravagant was the best way to describe the culture. The various kingdoms were best known for their silk. It was spun to the finest of threads, and these were weaved into fabrics that were painted in all the various colors of the rainbow, and embroidered in patterns of the season's various blossoms, of wild animals, or of the mythical fire birds and the dangerous dragons of the mountains. The product was then exported back west over the dangerous mountains, across the seven wild seas, and through dry desert lands to the farthest corners of the continent on what was called the Silk Road.

In one of these kingdoms, Victor had caught the scent of a particular food wafting through the air as he strolled along a busy street. It sprung out from the rest - sweet and delicate. He followed his nose until he stumbled upon a food stall selling white, fluffy buns; and suddenly the urge to do something outrageous surged up from within him: he wished to sample one of the delicacies.

As soon as the thought crossed his mind, he hesitated. He was a vampire; his dietary consisted solely of blood; solid foods would not bring him any sustenance. Could he even digest human food?

Assessing the situation, he decided that the risk was too great. The sun was high up in the sky, which meant that he was vulnerable out in the open. It was better to try out new experiences when the cloak of night had fallen. With that in mind, he turned around and headed in the opposite direction. He paid no heed to the people around him staring at the large umbrella he was carrying around.