Chapter 7: A good teacher

A good teacher approves when his student shows interest in the subject he teaches; and is proud when his student excells. The ultimate goal of any good teacher is to be surpassed one day by those he has taught. Yet even the best of teachers succumb to the limitations of man; man is subject to insecurities, and insecurities can lead to envy.

Mr. Blake was no exception.

It was a sunny morning when he asked his class about the literature assignment he had handed out. "Well, class," he said, his countenance one of cheer, "how is the assignment coming along?"

Not unexpectedly, he received an almost collective sigh in answer from the adolescents.

"Now, now, some enthusiasm wouldn't hurt." Mr. Blake smiled, and tried to engage his students by presenting a question about the material they were supposed to have read. "Come on. For example, what do you think of Bram Stoker's Van Helsing character?"

To Mr. Blake's disappointment, it was his least favorite student who spoke up.

"Personally, I think Mr. Stoker needs to make up his mind," said Daniel. "I kept wondering; is Van Helsing Dutch, German or perhaps Finnish? I mean, it's stated that he's from Amsterdam, but somewhere in the novel he suddenly says 'Gott im Himmel' which is German. Furthermore, 'Van Helsing' is not exactly a typical Dutch name; 'Helsing' on the other hand is a fairly common Finnish name."

Mr. Blake frowned. "I see. So, you didn't like the book?"

"Oh, no," Daniel shook his head. "I enjoyed it! But the mistakes do stand out."

Mr. Blake knew his feelings to be childish, born of insecurity, but this knowledge only fueled his dislike for Daniel. The other was just a boy and yet he held himself with a maturity to which Mr. Blake could never hope to compare.

He wished to tear the boy down.

"You're observant, but you lack imagination, Daniel."

His student raised a challenging eyebrow. "Oh? How so?"

"Have you ever thought of the possibility that Van Helsing may have had a multicultural background?"

Blinking, Daniel opened his mouth, then closed it. Though it was obvious he disagreed with the proposed explanation, he was unable to produce a legitimate argument against the case so quickly.

Mr. Blake smirked in satisfaction. It always felt good when he outsmarted the boy.

***

During lunch break Mr. Blake made a quick call to his mother.

"But, sweetheart," his mother said to him, "you don't know how to cook! Are you sure I shouldn't come over to cook for you?"

"No, mother," said Mr. Blake, "I'll be eating out with my date."

He didn't have a date, but his mother didn't need to know that.

"Bring her home so I can meet her."

"It's only the first date, mother; I'm not even sure I like her yet." Even if he did have a compatible date with whom he could envision a future, he would never introduce her to his overbearing mother. "But I have to go now, there's a student waiting for me. Bye."

"Bye sweetheart."

He hung up with a sigh.

***

Mr. Blake parked his car at the first place he deemed suitable to spend dinner, a small restaurant called 'The Gate of China', which in his opinion was a rather corny name. Mr. Blake never expected a surprise date awaiting him upon entrance; he was therefore surprised with the two familiar faces he met.

"Stephen, you work here?"

That was the first familiar face. The boy gave him a sheepish look. "My first day, sir."

As he was led further inside to a table, he encountered the second face; it belonged to the one person he'd rather never see again.

"Daniel."

He gave the boy a curt acknowledgement. Daniel, however, did not seem to care about the sharp edge that was present in the tone of his rather strained greeting.

"Mr. Blake," he said, "please, have a seat."

A gracious offer.

Mr. Blake knew he'd be a petty man if he denied Daniel, but showing this boy courtesy costed him his sense of pride. He weighed his options for a short moment, then gritted his teeth.

Today would not be spent dateless after all.

Reluctantly, he slid down into the chair opposite the boy.

"I've been thinking about what you said in class," said Daniel, his gaze focused on Mr. Blake, "but I can't agree with it."

Mr. Blake sent the boy a frosty look. "I'd rather not talk about work during my free time," he snapped.

"But, Mr. Blake, surely you agree that Stoker would leave better clues, had he truly intended Van Helsing to be multicultural."

"I believe in subtlety, Daniel," Mr. Blake snidely replied. "But if you insist on forcing your opinion, then you leave me no choice but to be explicit: I don't appreciate your criticism."

Daniel let his displeasure show.

"Care to tell me why you feel my criticism is unfounded? Or is your appreciation based solely on like and dislike? I guess even teachers may suffer from faults such as pettiness."

Daniel did not deign to hold back. In his eyes, Mr. Blake deserved nothing less than this blunt treatment.

Before things could escalate, however, Stephen quickly stepped in and intervened. "On the house," he announced, as he placed a plate of fortune cookies between the warring parties. He smiled nervously. "Please, try one."

Daniel was the first to pick up his treat. With a small grumble, Mr. Blake followed a moment later. He broke his snack apart and crumpled the slip of paper he found within. Throwing that aside, he then took a bite from his treat. His date did the opposite; Daniel tossed his cookie away and began to read his fortune.

"You don't have an interest in yours?" the boy asked casually.

"Excuse me?"

"Your fortune," Daniel indicated, "you threw it aside." He kept his eyes trained on the slip in his hand.

Mr. Blake scoffed; yet, he uncrumpled the wad of paper and read, "That which is damaged can be mended."

Daniel folded his fortune neatly. Then quietly, as if offering Mr. Blake a truce, he read to him his own, "Opportunity is in front of you."