Chapter Eleven

Rydel felt her heart rate accelerate as she saw Sophie and Darren heading towards them. Like a reflex, she reached for Ellington's hand and held onto it tightly, as if it was some kind of safety barrier.

Sophie and Darren recognised it was them and stopped opposite them. Darren looked like he had lost some weight but he still looked very muscly. He had cut most of his hair off, leaving a small layer of stubble over his head. Sophie, however, hadn't really changed at all except she wore more beachy clothing than fluorescent things. They both held each other's hands and kept looking at each other lovingly.

They both stopped in their tracks and spent a few minutes acknowledging each other's presence.

"H-hi..." Ellington was the first to speak although he spoke quietly.

"Hello." Sophie replied, slightly more confident with the situation.

Rydel's eyes didn't leave Darren, feeling extremely afraid. "Hello.." She whispered, half hiding behind Ellington.

Darren just smiled at her and waved slightly, like she was some kind of child.

"How are you?" Sophie asked, encouraging a conversation.

Slightly less enthusiastically, Ellington spoke. "We're okay. It's our first time back in LA in almost two years.."

"Oh, that's cool. Got any plans for your stay then?" Sophie questioned, glancing towards Rydel but Rydel's eyes were locked with Darren's, filled both with fear and determination.

Ellington just shrugged slightly. "We are just going out for dinner. Got any places you recommend?" He asked, growing in confidence slightly.

Joey gripped tightly to Ellington's shoulder, clearly remembering both of the "strangers". Ellington rubbed his back softly, trying to reassure him.

"Well we were just heading out for dinner too. i know a good, family friendly place with decent food. You should join us." Sophie invited, kindly. Something about her friendliness was suspicious.

Ellington could feel Rydel glaring at him and squeezing his hand, wanting him to say no but he ignored her, agreeing to it. "That's a good idea." He mumbled, knowing full well that it probably wasn't.

They began following the mismatched couple down the street.

"idiot." Rydel mumbled, slapping his arm. "why the hell did you agree to this?"

"i just want to make this right!" Ellington pleaded quietly, pulling Rydel's nails out of his hand.

"then you write a sorry card, not agree to eating a meal with them! do you have any idea what they could do?! you can't fight them and neither can i! i'm a girl and i'm tired and you..."

"have cancer? is this what this is about again?" Ellington replied harshly but hurt by how she was treating him.

"no, i-"

"no you what? we both know that was what you were gonna say. i am capable of taking care of myself."

"no. you aren't."

"We are not doing this here and now." Ellington bickered, glancing up to see if Sophie and Darren were looking. They weren't.

"Oh yeah? Well you aren't even supposed to be here! I heard the voicemail from your doctor telling you that you aren't allowed to leave the state and you lied to me about having permission for it." Rydel hissed at him, louder than she had expected to.

His face went pale and he didn't have anything to say. His eyes fell to the ground in shame.

"Exactly. That's what i thought." She rudely spat again, storming ahead with Phoebe in her arms.