Chapter One

Brooke's POV.

It was Monday morning, I walked past the pastures and a mental institution as always. Yes, there is a mental institution behind my house.

It's a white building with a dark roof surrounded by a few tall trees. It looks a bit like a prison and it gives me the chills. The people who live there, or who basically got locked up there because they're too dangerous for the outside world, are not the people you'd want to hang out with.

Some of the patients have raped people, abused people, stalked people or even killed people. Most of them did worse things than the people who are in a real prison but they can't send them to a prison due to their mental issues. They can't function in our society, they don't see the world the way we do, they don't see the bad things in their actions.

Every once in a while you see a new article about things that happened in the institution in the newspapers. Sometimes one of the guards got stabbed, a few weeks later a visitor was raped in the bathrooms and the next week someone is being killed. Luckily those people are locked up and can't get out so there's no direct danger for me, and all the other people who live close to it.

You can just walk in and visit patients but I've never done that and I probably never will, it's way too scary. I don't want anything to do with that place but somehow, everytime I walk past the institution I feel like someone is watching me. "It's nothing," I told myself everytime. "Probably just the eerie atmosphere that makes you think of creepy things.."

I walked for about five more  minutes before I reached a highway and I knew it was only 2 minutes till I got to school. I hate walking on the path next to the institution but there's no other way.

I walked in school and hugged my friends, then went to my locker. When I realized my first class was math I sighed, "Great." I muttered, note the sarcasm. I walked into class and went to sit somewhere in the back of the classroom like I always do when none of my friends have the same class, muting out everyone and just listening to some music to get through the day.

At lunch time I sat with some of my friends and we just talked about what we did this weekend, I did absolutely nothing, as asual. I spend all my weekend with my laptop in bed, watching movies, series and youtube videos. My friends do more things and sometimes I wish I also did more things than just sitting in bed but I'm happy to just spend my weekends without having to be productive. Of course I visit my family somtimes , go shopping with my friends or go to parties, which I don't mind, but I don't do that every week.

School went by very quickly to be honest, I walked back home on the same path I always do. When I got home I hugged my mom who was reading a magazine and drinking a cup of tea. "Hey Brooke, how was school?" She asked, "Interesting." I said back with sarcasm. Yeah, sure, interesting. She rolled her eyes. I got myself an apple, when Nala came up running to me, wagging her tail. "Hey Nala, wanna go for a walk?" I asked her while stroking her soft hair. We've had Nala for two years and I really loved her, she is a black pug, my favorite kind of dog.

I put on my jacket and put Nala's collar around her neck. I waved to my mom and walked out of the door before closing it behind me. I love walking with Nala, not because I love her, just because I can think of everything. I do that a lot, thinking about things. My life isn't pretty interesting but my mind is always running, thinking of everything like school, my friends, my parents, you can tell. I like being alone with my thoughts.

I walked for about 3 minutes till I reached the same path again, I always walk there wherever I go because it's an open area so it's great to walk with your dog. I let Nala take a piss and suddenly my phone rang, I grabbed it out of my pocket. "Hello?" "Hey Brooke!" It was my friend Louise, "How are you?" "I'm good, what about you?" I answered, "Nothing much, thanks. Hey listen, there is this party this Friday, do you wanna come?" She asked. "Yes of course! Can you ju-" I was cut off my Nala who suddenly ran away, "I'll call you back." I quickly said to Louise before hanging up, I didn't even give her time to answer.