01.12

"Congratulations Devereaux, you helped save New York City." Nick Fury applauded the agent as she walked into his office. It's been at least two weeks since 'The Battle of New York' and Devereaux had been laying low. "Thank you, where's the rest of the group?" Victoria asked as she sat down on one of the chairs across from Fury. "As of what I heard, Banner and Stark we're together, and Thor and Loki returned to Asgard." She didn't want to ask about Steve, because she thought it might be weird talking about Steve to Nick.

"Nick can I ask you something?" Victoria hesitated to ask. "I'm all ears." "Did you know my parents?" Nick stop fiddling with the folder he was reading and looked up at the young woman. "I did. They were great people. Gerald and Diana Devereaux. Your father is a legend to SHIELD." Fury smiled in remembrance of his old friend. "Do you mind if I ask you for a favor?" "Depends. How big or small is the favor?" Fury arched his eyebrow. "I don't know, maybe big?" The brunette mumbled. "Do you think there are some files of them in the SHIELD archives I can look at?"

Nick studied Victoria's facial expressions, he felt sympathy. The poor girl was dumped at SHIELD at a young age and has no memory of her parents. "Yes, I'll pull them up later." Victoria sighed in relief, "Thank you, Nick. This means a lot." She stood up and bid her goodbye, until Nick spoke up again. "If you want to talk so someone who was closer to your parents, Alexander Pierce. He'll return from a meeting at five, if you want to talk to him."

-----------

Walking around the streets of Washington D.C. was very peaceful, no aliens falling from the sky, no gunfire or explosions or a green giant roaring every two minutes. The phone, from Victoria's back pocket was buzzing. The screen read 'Rogers', she inhaled and exhaled and answered. "What's up Spangles?" Victoria joked. "Nothing much just here in D.C. hoping we can meet up later?" Steve asked, nervously. "Are you asking me out on a date Captain Rogers?" Devereaux teased. "A date? No no no no. Okay, yes. How does five sound at an Italian restaurant on 3rd street?" "Sounds good."

-----------

5:04 p.m.

Victoria was walking down the street, towards the building. She felt butterflies in her stomach. This was the first. Opening the glass down, and entering the building. Clicking the button, waiting for the elevator. The metal doors opened, and she stepped in. Waiting for the elevator to ding, Victoria's heartbeat was racing, and her hands became clammy. The magical sound rang, ding, and  Devereaux stepped outside and walked straight ahead to see him. She wiped her hands on her pants then opened the door. "Mr. Pierce, I'm Agent Devereaux. I was wondering if you would give me some information on my parents."

------------

7:30 p.m.

Steve sat alone at the table, that was supposed to be for two. Waiting for two and half hours like an idiot, waiting for Victoria who forgot about the date. Steve watched as couples ate and drank around him. Rogers held his hand up and asked for the check, he was going home disappointed.

.