5 - Exploring Edinburgh

POV: SHERLOCK

Upon running into the police box for the second time today, I was focused on other things besides the fact that this box was bigger on the inside. John and I hovered around the control panel, unsure of what to do.

Suddenly, I had a vague image and notion in my mind of what controls I needed to use. I had no idea where these ideas came from, but I was able to trust my instincts like numerous times before.

"Sherlock," John asked with concern, "what in the world are you doing?"

"I'm saving our lives as well as the Doctor's. I think I have an idea of how this works, but don't ask me how I know because I'm not quite sure how either," I replied quickly. I began to construct the scattered frames appearing in my head into a coherent picture, and saw a lever that was on the other side of John. I walked around John, but froze with uncertainty as I was inches away from this switch.

"What do you know about flying a time machine?!" he exclaimed, noticeably going pale. However, I didn't have time to respond because I saw more pictures appearing in my head. I noticed that the screen above the lever now had numbers on it, which I memorized with ease. Their purpose was unknown to me, but I knew that there had to be a reason that I saw these things. Looking at the console below me, I found a keyboard that had codes and numbers on it. After seeing the sequence of buttons once, I copied those movements into my actions in reality. I noticed John starting to mumble profanities towards me, but after I pulled the lever and we felt the machine whir around us, his jaw tightened and he didn't say another word.

After a couple of moments, John and I saw the Doctor miraculously materializing right in front of our eyes, and we both fell into a stunned silence.

"Well, I sure am glad that you were able to figure that out! I was seconds away from becoming a pile of bones," exclaimed the Doctor. "Now scoot aside please, and let me handle this."

After he pushed a couple more buttons and pulled a few more levers, the police box started to move again. We stood there in silence for a couple of moments, then I heard John speak a bit quietly to me.

"How did you know what to do at that mess of a console?"

"Oh, it was easy," the Doctor said to the both of us, turning to face us. "I simply used the telepathic connection that I have with the TARDIS to channel a few select images into his head in order to tell him what he needed to do. Of course, I can tell that William here has a good head on his shoulders; however, I wouldn't expect him to know what to do with this type of technology."

"So you mean to tell me that you entered my mind? That's impossible. I didn't see you in my mind palace." I stammer out. There's no way in hell that something like this could've happened.

"It's because you weren't supposed to see me. I only wanted to you see the console because as focused as you can be most times, I thought you definitely would've been distracted by my face," the Doctor added with a wink. I felt my face flush a bit red and I saw John turn a light shade of crimson in my peripheral vision. The Doctor turned back to the console and landed the TARDIS. "Now we should be in the clear, it seems that the daleks have lost interest in waiting for us to return. Shall we continue our exploration of Edinburgh?"

While walking around this city with John and the Doctor, I had an odd sense of belonging to this landscape. John seemed to be infatuated with Edinburgh, but not as much as the Doctor was. Basically bouncing off of the walls, he wanted to go into every single shop no matter the range of items being sold. At one point, we found ourselves in a store selling cricket bats and balls of all things. We walked in and the Doctor picked up the first bat he saw and started stretching his arms obnoxiously above his head.