Chapter 6

Lily! The black and white she-cat thought. I must save my sister. "Lily where are you? She yowled in fear. "Oh Lily, we must leave!" She cried when she found the smaller cream she-cat. A monster was growling through the field and would soon reach them. "Come! We are no longer safe here!" They raced through the remaining crops our into the meadow ahead, away from the crushing jaws of the monsters.

"Cow?" Lily squeaked in fear. "What just happened?" It was Lily's first harvest season since she was born, and Cow was seven moons older, making it her responsibility to look after her littermate when their mother was taken away. All she could do at the time, was find shelter for the coming storm, for the clouds were already bulging with rain, ready to let out huge amounts of lightning. "I will keep you safe. I promised our mother, and I keep my promises."

It was a pleasant day until the rain clouds came rolling through the sky and blocked the sun. "Oh, but it was so nice out a little while ago?" Smokepaw complained. "Well at least it's alright... For leaf-fall anyway."

It was about half a moon until his and Cloudpaw's warrior ceremony, and he had hoped the weather would be pleasant, but the incoming rain might change that.

"Wow, Blossompaw!" Skypaw mewed. "You've got to be the best hunter in the clan!" Rockpaw looked over to where Blossompaw was standing, holding a rabbit, and two squirrels. His bottom jaw dropped open. So much prey... And it's leaf-fall.

"Hey Moonpaw!" Blossompaw called as she walked past. "Do you want to share?"

"Sure!" She said happily in return, then trotted off, with Blossompaw at her side.

"Wow. They are really close friends." Graystripe, a Thunderclan elder mentioned with a small purr in his voice. "I wish Firestar was still here." Firestar, Thunderclan's former leader had been Graystripe's best friend. I'm bored. Rockpaw decided. I'm going to ask if I can go hunting.

"Hey Lionblaze, can we go hunting?" He asked.

"Sure. Wait for me at the thorn barrier. Are you trying to beat Blossompaw?" His mentor added with a hint of amusement.

"Yeah, it would be a good goal for me." He replied, then stalked away, towards the exit of the camp.

"Ha! I caught that shrew before it knew I was there!" Rockpaw yowled in delight. "My fourth catch of the day!" He had already caught two squirrels, a mouse, and just now, a shrew.

"At this pace you'll beat Blossompaw in no time at all!" Lionblaze congratulated him, then suddenly hissed, "be quiet! I smell badger!" His mentor was right. A few seconds after his warning a large, striped badger came lumbering out of the undergrowth. It gave out a low growl as he and his mentor lashed out, with well aimed blows.

"We're gonna do it!" He yowled in triumph, but froze in fear when he heard a high pitched screech, coming from his mentor. The badger had bit his neck, leaving a deep wound that no cat would survive. "No Lionblaze, don't die on me!" He was furious and he fought with all his strength, and finally, the badger was beaten. Although their enemy was defeated, he still faced a great loss. His mentor, Moonpaw's father, was dead. "It's over. It's all over. I am sorry Lionblaze." He slunk over to his mentor and pushed his muzzle into his fur, as a single tear rolled down his face. But that one tear, changed it all. "Goodbye." He said and turned to walk away.

"What do you mean 'Goodbye'? I'm still alive."