Chapter 2

Jay's POV

My name is Shawn Carter and I'm 16 years old. I'm here because my mom overdosed on heroin when I was 5 and my dad was never in the picture. My grandma died when I was 3 so that wasn't an option either. But despite all of that, life isn't so bad. I've been here at Saint Peters ever since I was 7. Ty and Emory are my main boys and we've been friends since we were 10. AJ and Meek became cool a little later and Danny is AJ's little brother. The crew as we like to call it, is like a family. We'll always have each other's back, it's been that way for years. Aaliyah is my girlfriend. That's my baby and we've been together for 4 years. She's been there for me through it all and she's really like the Bonnie to my Clyde. When you see her, you see me.

I got kicked out of school last year and I'm not allowed to go back due to me getting into too many fights. The last two dudes I got into it with ended up in the hospital and I went to jail for a little. Yeah, I'm a little rough around the edges but I don't think I'm a bad guy. I plan on working towards getting my GED and I'll see how my life turns out from there. I only got two more years in this place until I'm out on my own.

Aaliyah was usually in the commons area because her and her roommate didn't get along so I was about to look for her there. When I walked in, it was empty but I seen Lil Houston laying on the couch reading a book. I didn't really think much of her. Her long hair was in two neat braids to the back and she was laying in basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and Sponge Bob slippers. They were kind of dope, I laughed to myself.

Jay: Aye, what's up Houston.

Bey: Hey Jay.

Her voice was soft and soothing.

Jay: What you up to?

Bey: Nothing, just reading.

Jay: Every time I see you you're reading.

Bey: Well that's because I like to read.

Jay: Don't be getting smart with me girl.

She did this little thing with her eyebrow, it was kind of cute and intimidating at the same time.

Jay: What's that look supposed to mean?

Bey: I'm gonna tell Aaliyah that you're bothering me.

Jay: And what is she gone do to me?

Bey: Don't act like she don't keep you in check.

Jay: She don't.

Bey: Okay, let me go get her.

Jay: Where is she anyway? I've been looking for her.

Bey: I'm guessing still in my room with Kelly.

She walked past me and headed to her room.

Jay: You about to get her forreal.

Bey: Yep, because you're always picking on me.

Jay: I just be playing.

Bey: You're a bully.

Jay: You're really hurting my feelings Houston.

She just laughed in my face.

Bey: You're full of shit. You know that.

Jay: Oh, Houston has a potty mouth.

Bey: There's a lot that you don't know about me.

Jay: Like what?

Bey: None of your business.

Jay: Aw forreal? We're supposed to be cool.

Bey: We are cool.

Meek: Jay, everybody heading to the courtyard. You coming?