Chapter 2

Sooo!!! here's chapter two!!!

i know not many of you are reading, but i like writing anyways!

its my passion!! :D

hope you like it!!!!

~

    The bird had a sad look in its beady lifeless eyes. Kage sniffed the bird and sneezed.

    "Is it safe to eat?" We hadn't had food for days and my stomach was tearing itself apart.

    Mason stared at the bird for a long moment. "Maybe."

    He picked up the raven by the tip of the wing and looked it over. "We could try a bit and see if its safe." He handed the dead bird to Kage and wiped his hands on his pants."Disgusting." Mason looked around once more and walked on.

    Since the bomb people couldn't trust most foods because of the poison it took in, but some foods were ok, like some canned fruit or vegetables were fine and some packaged meats were fine also.

    Most people had to hunt for food like savages. Mason had a rifle from our father since he was 14 and he had it with him now although there wasn't much to use it on now. I had a slingshot that I kept in my back pocket. I know most people didn't use slingshots anymore, but ever since I was little I had used a slingshot for almost everything I could, and I was talented with it to.

    We walked among the many dead trees in silence. Kage still had the bird by the wing in his mouth. I supposed a small child could ride on his back like he was a pony because he was so large. I looked straight ahead thinking of where we would end up next.

~

    It had been at least two hours of walking with only a few stops to rest. We came up to a tall metal skeleton of what once was maybe a hotel that had a small set of stairs on the far right that led up about 13 floors.

    "Can we rest? I need air." Two hours of breathing through a gas mask wasn't the same as real air.

    "I guess. Be quick." Mason sat down in front of one of the giant pillars of metal.

    I walked over to the stairs with Kage right on my heels. I ran up the stairs taking two at a time, desperate for real air. I heard Kage's nails scrape against the metal stairs behind me, getting faster with every step, obviously he needed clean air too. Well, semi-clean air.

    I slowed down as we reached the top of the stairs. I stopped suddenly and held on to what was left of the hand rail. The stairs ended abruptly, and dropped down to the ground below. I took my mask off quickly and took in a sharp breath of air.

    It had a metal tinge of taste to every breath I took. Kage panted heavily, taking the air in as big gulps. I chuckled lightly and looked at Mason. It looked like he was fiddling with something inside his bag. I looked up at the sun which was getting ready to set. I decided to head back down and put my mask over my head once more, breathing in the stale purified air.

   As I came to the end of the stairs, i saw a flicker of movement, in a tree, to the right of me. I froze on instinct and took my slingshot out. I slowly picked up a small-ish sized rock and took aim at where i saw the movement. I didn't know if the rock could penetrate the tree branches, but if it was at least a squirrel, It would be worth the try.

    The rock shot at the tree like a bullet from a gun and hit something.

    "Ow!" A voice came through the tree.

    I instently gtrabbed another bigger rock and took aim agian, and shot. This rock hit also, and it hit hard.

    "Ow! Dammit stop!"