Chapter 5

The day after Christmas, two weeks later, I was sitting at the dining room table with my dad, Elizabeth, and Cecilia. We had just received our ACT results, and Cecelia had scored a 29, and I scored a 30. My dad was so happy he decided to have a special dinner to celebrate, allowing us to invite our boyfriends. Since Cecilia had recently broken up with her boyfriend of 9 years, Parker would be our only guest.

I had on a very concealing maxi dress from Saks, which was strapless, black and very tight on my boobs, and flowed out in a bright tropical print the rest of the way down. The black made me look small, and the crazy print was distracting enough to divert attention away from my growing baby bump. I have been able to hide it due to my impeccable fashion sense. Dr. Tyler was right, the little yoga workouts she told me to do have made a difference. I noticed my baby bump has grown to almost the size of a football. I've been unable to wear all my tight clothes lately, so layers have become my best friend. I haven't really changed what I wear, just how I wear it. No one has mentioned it to me, so I think I've been successful.

The doorbell rang and I jumped up to get it. My black gladiators clicked on the black and white tile floor. I opened the french door and Parker was pacing on the front porch. "What's up?" I ask. Something is wrong, I can tell. He has a spazzy look in his eyes and I don't like it.

"Nothin'," he said happily. Parker walked in the door, looking fine in a white tee-shirt, un buttoned jean button down, olive green cargo jacket, and jeans. He squeezed my butt and handed me a bouquet of white lilies. I looked at him suspiciously, and he just smiled.

"Kay..." I said cautiously. I led Parker into the dining room and told him to sit in the chair next to mine while I put my flowers in a vase.

When I joined everyone at the table, they were passing plates of chicken and other sides around the table. Parker was being oddly quiet and kept tugging on the collar of his shirt. I sat next to him and added a huge pile of green peas to my plate. I read that they were one of the healthiest vegetables to eat while pregnant.

"Everyone pick up their glasses!" My dad boomed. His blue eyes were crinkled up and he held a glass of champagne in his hand.

I looked warily at the glass in front of me. Since it was a celebration, my dad allowed Cecilia and me to have a drink. I know that I shouldn't be drinking while pregnant, but if I don't everyone will be suspicious. I never pass up a drink, especially at home. I lick my plump lips nervously and decide I'll pretend to drink it.

"I'm so proud of my two girls. They're geniuses, and work so hard. I think Cecilia has come a long way since her freshman year. And Claire, I can't even express how proud I am of you. You've grown into such a beautiful young woman," my dad smiles at me and I feel my face beam. Cecilia glares at me across the table. She got snubbed on her speech.

However, my dad's words make me even more hesitant to tell him about the baby. I don't want to disappoint him even more than I already have. He has always treated Cecilia differently than me. I think that after my mom left, my dad wanted to start fresh. I was just a road block that got in his way of having a better life. Telling him I'm pregnant may push him over the edge.

"Cheers!" my dad shouted. Everyone lightly clinked their glasses together and brought them to their mouths. I watched my dad drain his quickly. I tightened my lips and tilted my glass to my mouth.

"No!" I looked at Parker in shock. He reached over, quickly took the champagne out of my hand, and put it on the table.

"Claire can drink if she wants to," my dad growled, giving Parker a menacing look. "You can't control her."

"No, she can't drink," Parker muttered. He looked at his hands, avoiding the stares from everyone.

"And why not?" my dad demanded.