Chapter 6

"Oh, Mrs. Remington, it's beautiful!" I gave Parker's mom a hug and looked around my new room. Mrs. Remington is an interior decorator that is famous for designing the homes of many celebrities

"I'm happy to do it!" she squealed. Mrs. Remington put her arm around me and we took in the room together. She had painted the walls light beige and the dark wood floor had a thin white rug positioned in the middle of it. The huge canopy bed had sheer white curtains pushed to the corners and a white comforter with cloth flowers sewn on it was neatly spread across it. All of the dressers and end tables were white with pale gold knobs. Vases of white hydrengas were scattered around the room and a pale gold and crystal chandelier hung from the center of the ceiling.

What warmed my heart the most was a crib placed in a little nook. It was white, with elegant lace bedding and a ton of ruffles and bows, and a sheer white canopy. I can picture sleeping in this bedroom with my adorable baby girl in just a little while. I went to see Dr. Tyler just yesterday with Parker and his mom. We saw my daughter's face, and I officially reached my 32nd week. I had the ultrasounds professionally printed, and Mrs. Remington had them framed and placed on my end table.

I felt at home in this house. The Remingtons welcomed me warmly and made sure I had everything I needed. Mr. Remington had the housekeepers start using all organic cleaning materials to ease my worry that breathing in fumes could harm my baby. Mrs. Remington bought me special food from the market that I researched and found to be the healthiest for pregnant women. Parker put up with me not wearing deodorant. Annie rubbed my swollen feet every night to help my circulation.

"I'm so happy to be here," I said. Mrs. Remington rubbed my ever-growing belly. I was desperately trying to hide it, because we go back to school today. I had on an oversized jean button down, it was actually Parker's, paired with white leggings. It was very casual for me, and bordered on sloppy. I hoped it would catch on as cute at school, instead of causing people to question my new fashion choice.

"And we're happy to have you here." Mrs. Remington smiled and left me alone in my new room. I wandered out of the french doors onto the stone balcony. It overlooked the backyard, and I had a perfect view of the salt water infinity pool, multiple cabanas, and the sharp cliff that led to another gorgeous view of a large lake. I combed my fingers through my wavy hair and made sure that the front of my hair was still perfectly french braided.

"Claire?" Parker said from the door way. I turned to look at him. "Are you ready to go?"

"Mhm." I picked up my large tan Coach purse and slid my feet into my Marc Jacobs strappy brown gladiators.

We said goodbye to Parker's family and went out to our cars. We had decided that we didn't want anyone to know that we are living together, so Parker and I took our separate cars.

While I was stuck at a stoplight, I checked my phone. I kept refreshing my texts and emails, hoping to hear from my dad. I never had any luck, I haven't seen or heard from him in a week. Today is the fourth of January, making me about a month and a half away from my due date. I really want to get some support from my dad, or even some acknowledgement. Though the last few years have been rough for us, I still love him and it breaks my heart that he won't even speak to me.

I followed Parker through the guarded gates of St. Vincent, a tag hanging from my rearview mirror giving me access. Hundreds of expensive cars were driving slowly up the cobblestone path that leads to the main parking lot. My parking space was in the middle of the huge lot, because I'm not a freshman nor a senior. I throw my car into park, sling my purse over my shoulder, and stack my books in my arms. I lock my car and walk down a few spots to where Parker is just getting out of his car.