Part 4

It's been 5 months since I found out I was pregnant and I was ready for this baby to get out of me. Just when the morning sickness ended, the kicking started. Me and Alex were going to the ultrasound to find out if we were having a boy or a girl. Me and Alex didn't get back together, but we were back to being the best friends we were before we got together. I found out that white trash was also pregnant, so he had two babies on the way.

"I bet when he gets older, he'll do football, basketball, soccer, and every other sport just like his father. Lil' Alex Jr." Alex was lost in his own little wonderland when the doctor was putting the gel on my belly. He's been talking about the baby non stop.

"Or she will do all sports, dance, sing and write just like her mother. But if it is a "he", I'm not naming my damn child after you." One of the only valuable things my mother taught me was never ever name your child after a man, a lesson she didn't have to endure since she had all girls.

"OK, everything looks good. Due date is projected to be March 30th, and you are having a girl. Congratulations."

After the we left the doctor's, Alex dropped me off home. I went to my room and opened the book of baby names I had in it. I was stuck between Karter and Kaydence. "Oh well, I have three months to figure it out." A light knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. "Come in." Kehlani, my third baby sister, came in. Her and Koemi came from my mother's second marriage, Romeo Fuentes, a Puerto Rican CEO of a famous electronics company.

"Am I having a niece or a nephew?" Kehlani was only 14 but she always dreamed of having a baby of her own. When she I found out about my pregnancy, she figured it was the closest she'd get.

"A niece." I showed her the ultrasound pictures and she drooled over them.

"I can't wait til I have my own Kei, but ima take yours and dress her up and take her to the park, just until I have a baby of my own."

"Woah tiger. You can have a baby when your older and married." I worried about Lani-a lot. She wasn't like the rest of us. When a boy talked about her, she let it go to her head. She picked the most dangerous boys and got caught up with alcohol and drugs. One time, she snuck out to a party and someone rufied her drink. She thought she was going to die and she almost did when she got home. Momma beat her ass so bad, she had walked with a limp for a month.

"But your not married." I looked into Lani's deep brown eyes and realized she wasn't saying it out of spite, even though the words cut deep.

"I didn't plan this you know. I didn't plan to be in love and then get left by a trailer trash white bitch." I snapped back calmly and I could see Lani was at a loss for words.

"Kei, I didn't mean-"

"I need to get some rest." I cut her off before I laid down and she cut the lights off before she left.

I checked the time on my phone. It read 3:13 am. I couldn't sleep so I went down to the kitchen to get some vanilla ice cream, and then to the nursery. My mother, sisters, step father, and Alex all helped with building the nursery. It was light blue and white- gender neutral because we didn't know what we were having yet. I grabbed on of the reading books and sat down in the rocking chair. I read the twisted version of Little Red Riding Hood in between bites of ice cream.

"You are going to poison that baby's mind with them twisted fairy tales." I looked up to see my mother at the door. She came and stood next to the crib. "You always liked the different things. A challenge. When righting essays, you always picked the harder route." Every since I became pregnant, my mother has been nicer than usual. I never understood why she disliked me so much. I thought it was because I brought back memories of my father but she didn't hold that against Kai.

"I think I'm going to go to bed." Before I started heading towards the door, she grabbed my arm.

"No matter what you think, I love you. I've always have and always will." I looked into her big deep brown eyes. They were sincere. I felt warmth that I've never felt before from her. I've always looked for something in my mother to compare myself self to. We were both dark skinned, short and had the same body frame. She always wore her hair straight while mine stayed in unruly curls and waves. I was the spitting image of my father and deep down, I know that had to pain her. Looking at too memories that reminded her of the man that left her high and dry with two young toddlers.

"I know." The warmth she had quickly went back to the familiar cold and we both went back to bed.

3 Months Later

Everyone was making arrangements for Valentine's Day. Mom and Shemus were going to Hawaii, Kai and Oakland were going to dinner, even Rain was going somewhere with one of the white boys she was seeing. I, on the other hand, had to babysit my youngest sister, Keyshia. She was the only single and from my mother's last and only marriage, Shemus. Shemus was an Irishmen whose family was very wealthy. The Curran fortune went back for centuries. I knew his wealth wasn't the only reason my mother stayed with him. She always told us, "Once a man see's you cry, see's you through ups and downs, then you know that he's the one."
It was weird because it meant that my mother actually cried and had feelings. But if it takes that to know a mans the one, why wasn't Alex the one?

"OK Keysh, whatchu wanna watch?"

"I wanna see The Hangover." This Lil girl lost her mind. She was only 10 and I knew the hangover would be too much for her.

"Uhh no. Pick again."

"Ok precious."

"Lil girl."

"Please Kei?"

"Ughhh ok." I reluctantly agreed. "Put it in." I had to cover her eyes and ears for the scenes where Precious was being raped by her father, but I figured she'd be ok with the cuss words; it wasn't like she hadn't heard them before.

"Kai, are you ok?" Keyshia looked at me with concern. My stomach was hurting really bad. I got up to go the bathroom but I felt something went touching my feet. Kei, you peed!"

"Keysh, call 911, I don't feel so good." My knees grew weak, and the room started spinning. Everything went black.

"I woke up with my body connected to lots of machines and my knees were to my chest. Alex and Rayne were sitting in chairs on either sides of the bed.

"She's UP!" Alex rushed to my side so he could grab my hand. I didn't understand anything that was going on. Rayne got up with her phone and started recording.

"She's 7 centimeters in." The doctors were all standing at the other end of my bed. I couldn't be having the baby; I wasn't due for another month.

"Wait, I'm not due for another month. I didn't even get my epidural." For some reason I didn't feel anything.

"They injected it while you were out." Rayne was standing by the doctors, not taking a glance away from her phone.

"When I say push, I want you to push as hard as you can." I squeezed Alex's hand as hard as I could. Not because pushing the baby was painful; I didn't feel a thing. It was for all the pain and the broken promises.

"Kei, I can't feel my hand." I looked over at him and smiled. He was kneeling down in pain, trying to unleash my grasp. He looked up by the doctor and smiled.

Karter-Kaydence Alexandria Venezuela

4 pounds 9 ounces