CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX
The things we decide to do and the things we are pressured to do must never cross paths.

          ADELAIDE RUSHED towards the lunchroom in complete and total angst, a facial expression full of distaste plastered onto her features as her hazel irises searched for her group of friends. Her shirt was still slightly see-through, and that alone was enough for the Hastings twin to nearly throw a fit. She had tried to contain her anger from her walk from the bathroom, but from the stares that were thrown her way, she could hardly control anything. All boys in every shape and size had demonstrated at least one form of cat-calling towards Adelaide, and they should all be considered lucky that she didn't reach over and remove their heads from their body. Without her twin or any of her other friends in sight, Adelaide sat down at an empty table, groaning loudly as she awaited for the presence of her friends.

            "What the hell happened to you?" Spencer Hastings asked, a tint of laughter behind her words as she sat across the seat where Adelaide sat. Adelaide lifted her head from the crook of her arms, rolling her eyes in disgust. Now that Spencer could see the large water stain on her shirt, she burst out in laughter, trying to contain it for Adelaide's sake. At this point, Adelaide had gotten used to others seeing her and treating her like the laughingstock.

              "Long story short," Adelaide began, "Mike Montgomery."

"Mike?" Spencer questioned with a look of pure disgust on her features, "Since when have you been talking to Mike? Isn't he, like, in love with you or something?"

"Yeah, uh, yeah, he is," Adelaide shook her head in response, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly. It wasn't that Adelaide had no idea of his unrequited love for her, it's just that when she heard the words being said aloud in a complete sentence, it made her heartbeat skip a beat. All kinds of boys had been infatuated with her, even Noel, but for some unknown reason, it just so happened to be stupid Mike that actually had an effect on her. Spencer noticed the change in Adelaide's facial expression, and she knew something was brewing but knew better than to ask about it, especially when Adelaide was snarky. Removing all thoughts of Mike from her mind, she focused on her friends who were walking towards the small lunch table, baring a tray of cafeteria food. The rest of the girls sat in their seats, staring at Adelaide's water stain intently.

"Mike Montgomery," Spencer spoke up for her sister, and out of the corner of her eye, she saw Adelaide give her a small, grateful smile.

               "Makes sense," Aria frowned, opening her bottle of water as she inspected the growing water stain on her shirt, "He talks about you nonstop. I'm surprised he didn't pour the whole bottle over your head."

"Okay! Enough about your brother," Adelaide groaned out, picking a French fry from Hanna's tray, causing said girl to narrow her eyes at Adelaide. "Let's focus on Wilden, that sneaky little bastard who seems to know everything about us."

"He knows we're lying," Aria spoke up first, an expression full of fright on her face. At that, Adelaide rolled her eyes, knowing that Aria had always been the easily frightened one of the group of girls. Even when they had entered into a haunted house a few halloween's ago, it had been Aria who clung onto Adelaide's arm like white on rice.

"Lying is not a crime," Hanna retorted, crossing her arms over her chest. She raised her eyebrows as if to justify her words, and Spencer immediately refuted Hanna's words with her own knowledge on criminal affairs.