Chapter Eleven.

Jake was red in the face. It was upsetting.
"Take it down!!"
I sighed.
"Why? Don't you like it?"
"No."
Keith backed away, awkwardly.
"I thought that it will help you be closer to your family."
"But it's a Christmas tree!"
"I know!"
"On second thought, leave it."
"Really?"
"Yeah. And get out too."
"Jake-"
"Do as I say!"
I bent my head and headed off home.
I spent the rest of the day in my bedroom, feeling a bit shaken. I hesitated a bit whether to call him. In the end, I left a voicemail:

"Hi. So so so sorry that I upset you. Please talk to me. Please forgive me."

I sighed. My plan backfired, and I lost him. The man that I love.

So I do love him.

The next day, I opened door number twenty, five more days to go, and set out.
I hesitated to knock on his door. I gathered all of my courage, and knocked on my door. He opened the door, but his face lit up when he saw me.
"Hi."
He smiled and let me in.

"I am so sorry for losing it back then."
"It's okay. I get it."
"No. You don't."
I gave him a weak smile.
"Ever since my parents died, I never celebrated it again. I refused to participate in the nativity plays. I ripped up Christmas cards at home. I never liked it. Everyone had a family to go to, and I had no one. Isn't that upsetting?"
"Yes.", I said. "It could happen to anyone."
"Yeah. All I had was this foster Mum who had a hidden problem with alcohol  and burnt the turkey every year - and any food that she cooks. She died three years ago from alcohol poisoning at a party in August. She was drugged."
"Was her name Vera Watts?"
"Yes."
"I remember. It was on the news. They announced last month that they are reopening the case."
"You pay attention to the news too much!"
"Hey! I am a very curious person."
We laughed. He got up to go inside the living room and I followed him.
"A funny film was supposed to be on now."
I giggled. Then we found ourselves under a mistletoe.
"I thought you hate all Christmas traditions."
He giggled nervously.
"Tara put it there just before she left. I wouldn't kiss her. Then we had that argument. She left."
"Oh."
Then there was silence. None of us spoke. Instead, Jake leaned in, and I did too.
Age doesn't matter.
We found our lips in contact, none of us wanting to let go and pull away. We stayed under the mistletoe, not caring what was going on around us, and kissed passionately. It seemed like hours. Unfortunately, our lips parted. Both of us were lost for words, as it was unexpected.
"Wow.", I said. He blushed violent red.
"I should go now."
He nodded, looking a little sad that I was leaving.
"See you later.", I said, winking at him.

As soon as I reached home, desperate to relive that cute mistletoe moment, the phone rang. Gina and Clyde was out again, for last minute shopping. I grabbed the phone.
"Hello?"
It was Mum. She sounded frantic.
"Mum? What's up?"
"I'm so glad you picked up, darling."
"Why?"
"It's your Dad.", she said. "He had a fall."