Chapter Two: Nothing But Trouble

Clayton appeared after every class, happily escorting me to the next period. He was like an itch I refused to scratch for fear it would only get worse.

"Hello!" his familiar voice wafted into my ear after 4th period.

I forced a smile. "Hi."

"Let's head to lunch then, yeah?" He slunk an arm around my shoulder so smoothly; I almost didn't notice. Almost.

"Uh-huh," I answered, my thoughts far away. I shrugged his arm off.

While Clayton supplied the conversation on the way to the cafeteria, my eyes wandered to the parking lot and I jolted. The two Ferraris had vanished from their spots.

"Clayton," I interrupted his speech about Cheshire Prep's latest football game, how he'd scored three touchdowns, and how they almost won.

"Yep?"

"Who owns the two Ferraris? I saw them this morning, they're lovely," I asked, genuinely curious.

Clayton stiffened. He seemed wary of his answer. "Um, just these two students." His demeanor had changed in the blink of an eye. What was with him?

"Who?" I pressed, raising an eyebrow.

"Look, Ellen, I don't know who owns them, okay?" He avoided my eyes, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. I didn't bother to tell him my name was Elena.

I eventually let it drop, but I couldn't drop the nagging feeling in my gut associated with the cars.

"Clayyyyy!" A shrilly voice called as we entered the cafeteria.

"Hey, Brandi," Clayton waved as we made our way towards a table near the center of the room.

"Ohmigosh, hi!" Brandi, a curly brunette who was slender as a ruler, stood and enveloped me in an expensive smelling hug.

"Hi," I said.

"Your shorts are so cute, where'd you get them?" A petite blonde asked from across the table.

"Ella, right?"

"I love your hair!"

"Your shirt looks so nice!"

I was bombarded with questions and compliments alike, my eyes wide as Clayton led me to a seat between him and a brown-skinned girl.

"I'm Maria," she winked. I smiled wanly.

"Guys, this is Elise.." Clayton glanced at me.

"Campbell. Elena Campbell." I reminded him, eyes narrowing.

"Right. My new friend and new student here, Elise Campbell," he announced. I sighed.

Clayton seemed to be the ringleader of the athletes, and judging how the girls hung off Brandi, she was the matriarch.

The petite blonde from earlier piped up. "I'm Amanda," she said sweetly, batting robin's egg-blue eyes.

"Hi, Amanda."

"So, where you from?" Maria turned to me, tossing her glossy black hair behind one shoulder.

"London."

"Ooh! The guys there are so hot."

I became uncomfortable. "I mean, sure."

Maria began to chat away, telling me about the time she had visited London, seeing gorgeous sights and boys alike.

I zoned off as she did so, eyes flitting around the cafeteria. As I visually roamed the room, I noticed movement in my peripheral vision.

The cafeteria door was held open, and a tall, lean boy with curly hair shoved under a beanie sauntered in. An identical boy followed, in slightly different attire. Both wore dark sunglasses.