nine

1  D A Y  A F T E R  C H R I S T M A S

ALLY'S POV

I arrived back to my house, or at least we could call it my husband's house. I'd rather be as far away from this six-thousand square foot home, but that wasn't my choice. I quickly shut the big front door and sat down my keys on the familiar mantle piece before walking further into the house towards the living room.

Liam was sitting in his recliner, with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a lit cigarette in another. When he looked up and saw me, he put out his cig in the ashtray on the coffee table, leaning up to get on his feet. His groggy voice asked, "Why are you late, Allyson? Your plane got in at seven."

I glanced over at the clock on the wall to see that it said 9:56 PM. I was already starting to feel a little bit nervous having to explain myself. "There was, a um, huge traffic jam on the highway. The cops said that there was a pile up of five cars, and they had to wait to clear the road."

Liam coughed out a few words, "I made dinner." After taking another swig, he walked over to sit the glass down on his coffee table before walking towards me. "And it's cold now."

"I'm sorry, Liam. I didn't know." I apologized tensing up a little more.

He slowly stepped up towards me while I was stuck in my spot like glue. I tried my best, but I couldn't move. Especially not away from him. I wouldn't dare. His hand slowly brushed my hair back behind my ear. He leaned in to pucker his lips then meet mine. He tasted like the posion I so much hated. He used his tongue to flick over my bottom lip to ask for entrance but I wouldn't give it to him, which caused him to pull away.

His hand met my face harshly, almost making me fall off of my equilibrium. I quickly shot my hand up over the stinging skin and looked over at the drunk man with glazed eyes. I wasn't home for five minutes and he's already started to hurt me.

He turned on his heel to walk back towards the coffee table where he'd sat his glass down. He reached for it to bring it to his mouth and take a swig or two. His rough voice didn't compliment his accent like it usually should, "Get the fuck upstairs in the bedroom. I'll be up there after this glass."

I couldn't move. I was still so shocked and stunned. I knew I should've stayed with Camila, but I didn't want to put her in anymore danger than I'm already in.

Liam turned around and saw me still standing in the same spot, unsure of my next move. "What the bloody hell are you still doing here? Go." He gritted, tightening his jaw.

I hung my head as I turned around and started heading towards the staircase. Once my foot met the first step, a tear escaped my duct and started sliding down my cheek.

"Just one year, Ally. That's all." I whispered to myself, trying to persuade every fiber in my being to stay strong and take the punches as they came to me.