Chapter 2

"Jane."

I rolled over, away from the noise, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Jane," Benedikt repeated. I hunched my shoulders.

Suddenly, cold iron pincers dug into the back of my neck and pulled me up. It took me a moment to realize they were Benedikt's fingers.

His red eyes bored into mine.

"Get up," he said. "Or you're going to the party naked."

I stopped my half-hearted squirms, straightening up. He smirked.

"I see we understand each other. Find a dress. Nathan will bring you down to the party. I'll be waiting for you."

He waited for me to speak. I opened my mouth, but no sound came out for a few tries. Finally I had enough control to say in a soft voice, "It's a date."

He raised an eyebrow, then let me go, slipping with disturbing speed out the door.

I took advantage of the huge, many spouted shower, then stood, wrapped in a fluffy green towel, in front of the dresses. I suppose they were all beautiful. A myriad of colors in every shape.

I hated them all.

There were too many colors. Why would I want all these silly, flouncy things? Who in their right mind would want them? Where was the basic black?

I finally, after tearing all the other ostentatious things away, found a black floor-length gown with a slit up the thigh and flowing, steel gray sleeves. It was off the shoulder, so more of my translucent skin was showing, but I really couldn't care. I dumped all the other dresses on the floor and kicked them under the bed. Let happen what may to them.

Nathan laughed at my choice when I stepped out of my room.

"No, I like it," he said, in response to my stare. "I had a feeling you would choose that one."

"Gee. Thanks." I was proud of myself that I remembered sarcasm after all these years.

Nathan lead me down the marble staircase, keeping a careful distance between us. At the foot of the staircase, he said in a clear voice, "Master, Jane is here."

Benedikt appeared, as if out of no where, beside the small boy. He looked at my dress and smiled thinly.

"Millecent thought you would pick one of the red numbers," he said glibly. "I suppose Nathan has a better eye for these things."

I was silent, but Nathan chuckled warmly.

"Come, child," Benedikt said, holding his hand out to me. I took it, letting him lead me through the throng of vampires that had appeared to watch me with curious eyes.

"Ben, who is this?" one young woman asked, her rusty red eyes appraising me.

"Cassandra, this is Jane. Jane, this is my friend Cassandra," Benedikt said, gesturing absently between Cassandra and me. I figured out how to work my muscles into a shy smile. Cassandra smiled back, tossing her flaming orange hair over her shoulder. Then she took a deep breath.

"You are the lucky one, Ben. She smells simply delectable," she said, laughing heartily. Her skin was snow white, with a slight flush to her cheeks. I assumed she wouldn't be thirsty for a while.

"Aren't I?" Benedikt asked, smiling. "She used to be with Rider and Vanessa. Come, child."

He pulled me over to the wall. The stone had been chiseled away to form a bench, which he sat down upon before pulling me into his lap.

"Sit, child," he ordered, a smile in his voice. I leaned back into his cold chest, watching the dreamy figures dance.

Nathan was right about their incredible speed. They weren't invisible with it, like when they were running, but they seemed to blur into each other, like ethereal fog. There was laughing and chatting at a normal pace, which clashed strangely with the unnaturally quick dancers. One couple, a small Asian woman and a tall red haired man, glided towards us as they danced.