Chapter 6: The Brown Jug

The scent of thick cigars and cheap cigarettes blew in from the patio of The Brown Jug. Austen took a long swig of his beer and propped his foot up on the closest vacant chair at the corner table. It had been long time since he spent a Friday night anywhere but the living room sofa. In his teen years, Grant and he would tear through the town every weekend. Bonfires, mudding, drinking behind the bleachers during a football game. Those were the days. But those days were gone, replaced by the responsibility of ranch life. He didn't regret his decision, but there were still times such as this when he missed the freedom that came with being young.

"Hey," Grant shouted over the music, pulling Austen from his thoughts. Grant slouched lazily in the across from with a relaxed smile on his face. "What's up? I thought you wanted a night out."

"I do," Austen replied, his tone nonchalant.

"Then why do you look like you'd rather be anywhere else?" Grant pointed his half filled beer bottled around the table, gesturing to company around them. "Good music, beautiful ladies, what more can you want?"

Tara sat at Austen's side, a smile poised on her lips, while Jeneve rolled her dark eyes. Austen knew better. She enjoyed the male attention as much as Tara did. Perhaps even more.

On his other side sat Dean whose stoic gaze remained fixed on the dance floor. No cowboy hat or boots for the gritty mechanic, but at least he traded in his coveralls for a pair of clean blue jeans and a black V-neck. Austen even swore he caught the brief scent of cologne, unless that spicy scent was coming from Grant who had looked more like a cowboy now than he did any day spent on the ranch.

Tilting his Stetson back, Grant released a low whistle. His eyes traveled beyond the two girls and across the bar. "Who is that?"

The level of interest in his voice was enough to turn all of their heads towards the beautiful blonde who waltzed from the entrance and straight to the bar.

"Cute shoes," Jeneve commented over her spiked sweet tea. Her tone was a mix of envy and complete approval of the footwear.

Every inch of Austen snapped to attention. He didn't even notice what was on the woman's feet. He was too busy staring at the rest of her. His eyes slid down her short blue dress to the tall sandal looking heels that strapped around her ankles like a death trap. He never understood why women wore such impractical things, but seeing them on this particular beauty gave him a whole new appreciation for them.

"She could be wearing combat books and I'd still want to do her," Grant said.

The sudden urge to throw his best friend across the room surged through Austen's veins. Instead, he took another long swig of his beer and told himself to pull it together. There was no way he was jealous. It never suited him. Trying to keep his cool, Austen said, "That's Rose. She just got into town yesterday."

"Rose?" Tara repeated. "As in Rose Lawrence?"

"I don't know her last name ..." Austen's eyebrows pitched together as she tried to understand why Tara looked upset. Or was she annoyed? Whatever caused Tara to glance over her shoulder with such a look only confused Austen more. "Isn't she your‑"

"Cousin," Tara replied as Austen's voice disappeared into the music. "We've never met though. Our parents don't get along."

Austen's brows rose. He understood Tara's response, but why did she look so uncomfortable? Just because their parents had past issues, it didn't mean the two of them couldn't get along.

"I like her," Jeneve said without a hint of sarcasm. "She has style. Ooo, I want the sundress. It would go great with those blue heels I have."

"I thought you preferred leather and cuffs to anything girly," Dean smoothly replied. For a brief moment, his gaze left the dance floor.