Chapter Two: The bus

I immediately felt my knees go weak. Deep down I wanted to run away. But I wanted to keep my promise. And not only that, it was also time for me to get out of my shell I've been hiding in for the past year.

I slowly came closer. He was sitting on the bench in the shelter. I noticed he was listening to music and honestly I didn't want to bother him.

With all my courage, I sat down next to him. It felt like all the air in my lungs was gone.

He looked up from the ground and looked at me. I looked back and gave him a smile. He gave me a cheeky smile back.

Then he grabbed his earphones and pulled them out. "Hey", he said. His voice sounded like angels singing to my ears. It was so low and sexy. And wow, he started the conversation.

"Hi", I said while my voice was shaking. Kara, come on! Not the right time to be insecure. Man up!

It was clear the conversation would be very awkward.

"I've never seen you here, what's your name?", he asked. Of course he hasn't, I'm literally invisible to him.

"I'm Kara", I said with a little bit more confidence, "you're Isaac right?" I knew damn well he was Isaac, in fact his name was Isaac James Greyson.

Yeah.. not creepy at all.

"Yupp", he said popping the 'p', "that's me", he said with a smile that could light up this whole world.

Kara, think fast!

"I"ve heard you went to Nigeria, to do volunteering work right?", I asked. "Wow, things go around fast haha, but yeah that's right."

Isaac wasn't extremely popular or something. He wasn't one of the jocks. But he was on the soccer team. He was also very smart, even though he didn't always show it. I had seen his nerdy side once. I caught him in the corner of the library, reading a book. When he's with his friends, he's all macho and stuff but I know he really isn't.

"What was it like? Being there and helping people?", I asked with interest.

He looked at me, his eyes big. I gave him a look of confusion. "You know, you are the first person who asked me this." "Really?" I said, kind of shocked. He nodded. I had thought a lot of people had asked him about it already, but apparently not.

"I think it was one of the greatest things that I've done in my life. It gives so much satisfaction, helping those people. The light in their eyes, the smile on their face, that's what I'm doing it for. I've gained so much experience also." he told me, and I could see the passion in his eyes.

"That's really beautiful. Don't know a lot of people who have done that."

That's when the bus arrived. We sat down in the bus and we talked some more. It was like I had known him forever. It all went so naturally.

I had to get out the next stop. "It was really nice to talk to you Kara", he told me like he meant it.

I still couldn't believe this really happened.

"I enjoyed it as well, but I have to get out now. See you later, Isaac." "Goodbye Kara."

I plopped onto my bed with a deep sigh. I really had to control my feelings right know.

Did this really happen?

Did I really had a conversation with Isaac?

Am I dreaming?

No that's not possible.

~

I Skyped with Gina and Daniel and told them everything. They couldn't believe it. Daniel was flabbergasted.

"No wayyyy, gurl do you even know what this means? It's time to come up with the baby names!", he said enthusiastically.

"Woah, let's all calm down."

"I'm so proud of you Kara, I knew you could do it!", Gina said. She was really happy for me.

"We're just friends. Well, I'm not even sure about that. For him I'm just a stranger on the bus."

"Just wait for it..", Daniel told me while smirking.

~

"What are you so happy about?" Ron, my 14 year old brother, asked me. My moms look was also filled with curiosity. "Nothing", I lied.

"I didn't get the chance to talk to you yesterday. I came home very late yesterday", my mon said.

My mom had 2 jobs, so this didn't surprise me. My dad died when I was 6. He had been suffering from longcancer.

It were dark times. My mom had it really tough. To pay all the bills and to take care of us, she had to pick up a second job. But she manages to do it. Unfortunately, I don't see her very often. She is always working.

"So, how was the first day of school?", my mom asked me while pouring a glass of orange juice.

"It was good, very good", I said grinning like an idiot. I seriously couldn't stop smiling, my were cheeks hurting.

I knew she would bombard me with questions, so I had to leave as quick as possible.

Before she could say anything I said: "I really have to go mom, I'm late already." I grabbed a granola bar before leaving the house. "Bye mom, love you!"

~

I was staring out of the window in the bus. My eyes were almost closed. I couldn't sleep all night.

Not that I had a nightmare or something. I can't dream.. Well, I don't really know if I can dream. But I never had one, so I assume I can't.

It's kind of sad actually. I sometimes wonder how it feels.

I guess I should keep on daydreaming (about Isaac..)

X R