Chapter One| Back Home

*day one*
Javon.

"Momma!" I yelled as soon as I opened the door to my momma's house. "Momma!" I yelled again.

She took a minute to walk to the front door and see me for the first time in ten years.

She looked me over about five times. She looked as if she wanted to ask who I am. I guess she knew by my voice.

Her eyes watered a lot and she finally hugged me tightly. It felt good to hug my momma again and just touching her made me feel great.

I kissed her cheek and then we finally let go.

"I missed you baby." She wipes her tears and sits on the sofa. I sat on the chair across from her. "I missed you too momma."

"When did you get out?" She asked.

"This morning." I answered.

She looked me up and down again. "What do you have on Javon?"

"This is what I was wearing when I got arrested." I stood up and inspected her house, touching the picture frames and entering each room.

The house hadn't changed much since I've lived here but to me it seems brand new.

"Umm, are you hungry baby?"

I turned and looked at my momma. I nodded. "Yeah, I could eat."

While I ate, my momma and I caught up with each other. I found out that she's engaged to a man named Marcus.
She told me where my younger sister, Kaydence, lives so that's where I am on my way to now.

Momma gave me some change to catch the bus.

I had to walk a little while until I got to her house. I knocked on the apartment door. Some dude answered.

"Wassup?" He looked me over, it was clear that he was mad over something as if he had been arguing before opening the door.

"Kaydence here?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, she's here. Why? Who are you?"

"Can I see her?" I ignored his questions.

"No. Who the fuck are you?!" When I didn't answer, he grew angry. "Kaydence! Kaydence!" He called out. "Is this him, is this the nigga you're fucking with?!"

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not cheating on you!?" I finally hear Kay's voice making me grin a little.

"Then who the fuck is this nigga?!"

She walked to the door. She looked me up and down, "I don't know that nigga." She muttered and walked away or attempted to walk away but he grabbed her arm.

"Bitch don't walk away from me when I'm talking to you."

"Don't fucking touch me Jamal!" She shouts.

I just stood there in shock, watching this happen.

He lifted his fist as if he was about to punch her.

I had to do something. I hurried toward him.

"Chill bruh!" I pushed him away from my little sister.

When he regained his balance he attempted to uppercut me in my jaw but failed. I punched him in his face.

"Get the fuck out." I told him.

He looked at me speechless. Some random man just knocks on his door and saves his girlfriend from being beat by him and then beats his ass.

"Jamal just go please." Kaydence pleaded.

I gave him a look that I can't even explain and he just walked out.

"Who are you?" She asked me. Kaydence was 7 when I was arrested. She's 18 now. She wouldn't remember me if she seen me and this is the proof. It's kind of heartbreaking.

"It's me...Javon."

"Oh my God." She covered her mouth with her hands. "No, no. Seriously?"

"Yeah." I smiled, watching tears fall out of her eyes.

"Can I hug you?" She asked.

I chuckled. "Of course."

She hugged me tightly and buried her face in my chest, making my shirt wet.

"I'm so happy to see you." She wiped her face free from tears.

"I'm happy to see you too."

"Thank you for handling him."

I frowned, "It's whatever. He hit you before."

She nodded looking embarrassed to admit it.

"That's your boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"Not anymore...I hope." I mumbled the last part. "He can't just be hitting you like that but I know you're going to do what you want anyways. You love him?"

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Why do you stay with him?"

"I'm pregnant."

"For real? You don't look pregnant."

"I'm 3 months so far."

"Does he know?"

"Yes."

"Damn."

"Where you staying?" She questioned me.

"I don't know."

"You can stay here!" She sounded excited to offer me the spare bedroom.

"There's a little mess in the room but I can clean it up for you."

"You sure?"

"Yes, please stay."

"Alright." I smirked.

"This is going to be great big bro!"